Thai Paternity Payments

FreeTime

Was reading another thread about board members who have been approached to father a child, and I saw those two words which strike such fear in the hearts of men; 'paternity payments'. I don't have any children, so am rather clueless about the process in N. America. My interest, though, is in the Thai legal system. Where does a foreigner stand legally if he has a child with a Thai woman, and is not married to her, as far as paternity payments is concerned? To refine the 'foreigner' description a little bit, say someone who lives in Thailand 5-6 months a year. No doubt most of us would want to make some kind of informal financial arrangement, but can a Thai woman also make a formal application to ensure we are on the hook? What if the foreigner was not actually living with the mother/child? This is assuming that paternity is undisputed; DNA tests etc.

Went to our local police station one day (to file a police report about when 4 men tried robbing me) and there was a young Thai man there that they had just brought in. It appears he had his way with one of the ladies and now was in a whole lot of trouble.

A lot of things we consider civil are handled as criminal in Thailand.

So in this case, the parents of the lady wanted a large sum of money if he wanted things to go away. This was only for virginity, I can just imagine how it is if a child is involved. I didn't hang around to find out how it ended.

I do know of one Thai lady who made a small fortune in child support payments. Exactly how it is handled, I do not know.

Hi,

Yep, with Thalenoi on this. Paternity payments are pretty much unheard of here.

My wife is still in touch with her ex, and her kids go to see him on occasion. While he does call regularly and seems to like his kids as far as I know he has never paid any money for school, clothing, etc. since divorcing my wife.

Sanuk!

As far as I know, the father after a divorce is charged to pay 1000 every month for each child, goes away and never pays 1 baht and there's nothing the girl can do - except if the father is rich but if so the father also takes his responsibility either paying or taking his children.

I know of some kids living with the father and his new wife. Many women I know with kids the father took off early in the marriage and never sends a satang for care of his children. Some send money as needed from time to time to get the ex wife to stop pestering them. And many Thai men live with their wife and their kids and support them all. But I do see a big percentage (what it is who knows) that do nothing for their kids by previous marriages, but have new wives and kids they support. I have run across some women here who will not give the father access to his kids and use this as a way to 'punish' the father. Many women are bitter they were left for another, many work their asses off to support their kids where the father sends nothing. Sadly it is the kids who suffer most in all this.

Cent

Archived