Beer Lao

Donut

Most of the pub type bars on Soi Nana have Biah Lao. Not very common in the go-go bars though.

A lot more foreign brands are available here now -- English, German, Austrian etc. Tops grocery carries things like Newcastle Brown and Strongbow cider. Don't expect it in the go-go bars.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys. Great that Beer Lao is getting more common in BKK. i

I find Heineken a bit too watery, Sinh too biter and Chang too strong (at least when staying out all night). I find the taste of Beer Lao must close to Danish brew, Tuborg, which is an altime favorite.

Thanks for the feedback,

D

Donut,

Actually, if my memory serves, I had beer Lao last time I was in Gullivers Soi 5. KS? Dog? Flashermac? Is this still being served there? Tony's in Cowboy was selling it by the case for take away a while back. If still doing this I'll be buying a box or two to take back to Surin.

I like it for a nice change. Singha sucks in my humble opinion. My favorite SEA beer is the Cambodian Angkor Beer. Hard to find outside of Cambodia from my experience. Not Anchor beer, but Angkor beer that is. Loved it.

Cent

Yes, I'm also a fan of Beer Lao. I can drink it all day without falling over too much.

One can't help but wonder what sort of trade restrictions are in place that prevent Beer Lao being available more widely in Thailand

Agree also that Laos, including Vientiene, is a beautiful and interesting country although the bucket and spade brigade tend to find it 'boring'.

<< One can't help but wonder what sort of trade restrictions are in place that prevent Beer Lao being available more widely in Thailand. >>

I heard Laotians bitch about that a few years ago. So I asked what foreign beers were available in Laos. Uh ... none. :(

Archived