Coffee Makers

The_Munchmaster

I'll be moving into my new apartment in Dubai in a few months time and amongst other things I want to get myself a good coffee maker.

Now I know that what constitutes a good cup of coffee is an emotive subject for some board members, as shown recently when I had to step in and nip, a potentially fatal exchange between Nervous Dog and Ray Ray, in the proverbial bud. :smirk:

I'm thinking along the lines of something like this wee darling from Krups as it has a timer facility and so I could set it to have a fresh brew when I wake up in the morning or for when I get home after work. Much cheaper and probably much more reliable than a live in GF.

KRUPS FMF794 Pro Aroma Thermo Jug

fmf7_main.jpg

I just need something to make a good cuppa of filter coffee, no need for espressos or cupochinos or the like.

Any advice / good experiences?

I recently got a keruig single serving coffee maker for my house, after having this type of service at my past 3 offices. I love it, and think it is the way to go. It brews a cup on demand, within a couple of minutes. you can get a variety of coffee flavors and types, along with teas, hot chocolate, etc. Best thing I ever did....cost about $100 for the machine and about $0.40 per cup of coffee...a little on the expensive side, but you never waste a drop!

Nah. True coffee cognoscenti know that the best coffee is brewed using a basic French press, correctly ground premium beans, and boiling water.

Cost: French press, maybe 500 baht. Or you can splurge: I got an expensive stainless steel insulated carafe press at StarBucks for a couple thousand baht. Indestructable, keeps the joe hot.

Coffee: When you buy your beans, tell the barista or the grocery store attendant that you would like them ground for French press. They will understand, and grind the beans appropriately.

Benefits: no filters, low-tech, basic, just plain robust taste. Affordable as hell.

Cons: You get optimum flavor from good beans correctly ground. Believe me, if you buy beans from StarBucks, they know how to grind them correctly for you. If you buy your beans from a grocery store, then you may need to puzzle out the grinder on your own, or actually speak to a real Thai person to have them do it for you.

Option: you could just buy beans, and then get a Krups grinder, and grind your own beans.

Hmmm. Good idea.

:)

I'm getting one of these babies built in with my new kitchen. It's connected to the mains so there is no filling with water and it even cleans itself. Does everything imaginable apart from gining you an early morning hand job :thumbup:

pi276_lg.jpg

That's an impressive coffee maker Teddy, :thumbup: but is it necessary to have one so big?

I trust that this is not one of those macho situations where a man buys something big to compensate for the smallness of something else? conf (13).gif You do have a pretty big car as well.

I recently got a keruig single serving coffee maker for my house, after having this type of service at my past 3 offices. I love it, and think it is the way to go. It brews a cup on demand, within a couple of minutes. you can get a variety of coffee flavors and types, along with teas, hot chocolate, etc. Best thing I ever did....cost about $100 for the machine and about $0.40 per cup of coffee...a little on the expensive side, but you never waste a drop!

Do as I do and get the My K-Cup insert thingy so you can use your own coffee. I like Community Coffee New Orleans Blend.

Don't forget to get an extra filter pack in case you want to make several cups at a time (saves washing out the filter right away).

Cheers,

SD

Archived