hotel thievery

FAT_AUSSIE

Will be staying in a couple of different hotels around LOS (inc BKK & PTY) and wil be carrying a bit of valuable stuff. Want to know how secure are Thai hotels. One hotel I will be staying in in PTY is a bungalow style set up. I have never had any probs in the past but this time I have a funny feeling. Strange....

Maybe me thinx 2 mutt.

Won't be entertaining anyone apart from my wife daughter & mother-i-l...

FA...

The simple answer is if you can't afford to lose it don't bring it. Hotel employees have stolen before out of the security boxes. Plus break-ins at bungalows is common. I remember one case in Pattaya where a tourist put 300000 baht in the security box of the hotel. The next day his 300000 baht was gone AND a hotel employee went missing.

When you say 'valuable stuff' I assume you mean non cash valuables. If so, and you must bring it, just make sure you have a rider on your insurance policy back home that covers theft/loss while travelling, or take out a separate policy. In a worst case scenario, at least you should be able to recover costs. The only foreign theft I have experienced was in Mexico (camera stuff). I had coverage, but it was like pulling teeth to get an official police report. Some kind of offical case documentation from the Mexican authorities was required in my case to get a policy refund once I returned.

Another thing I just remembered. Make sure you record the serial number of anything valuable that you are taking to Thailand, if it has one. Any report the authorities have to write up for theft etc., looks better if the serial numbers are included. Easier for the Thai police as well if/when they recover stolen goods.

Great suggestion on the serial numbers! I have been lucky in that I have never had anything stolen from my room while traveling. I do always use Safety boxes when available, and keep anything of value in them, including bank cards, credit cards etc...be careful, but don't let paranoia ruin the trip.

Oh, Will emphasize the use/recording of serial numbers, made for quick return of some stuff that was stolen from my car years ago.

Archived