FOOTBALL SEASON 07/08

sayjann

We were good for one goal at least. We weren't at our best but had far more shots on goal and possession than Wigan and their keeper made a few great saves. On another day one of those would have gone in. Wigan created little so on that basis I'd disagree that we didn't deserve all 3 points.

Can't say I was glad to see sperz lose to PSV. Sperz coming back to earth their west ham win nothwitstanding since every one's been using West Ham as a pin cushion nowadays. Still, Ramos is impressive with what he's done so far. I would be wary of being overly optmistic about next season wtih talks of top 4 though. Still, I expect sperz to do well nonetheless.

I am glad it could possibly be a non EPl final in the FA cup. Gives a little back of the romance of it that I've always heard and seen in old videos. The lower divisions need the boost anyway. Have to say man yoo were unlucky to draw PL sides the whole time. Chelsea have no excuse though. There was over a 100 million pounds of talent on that pitch.

I am pessimistic about the title but win or lose, we have a great base to build on for next season. We're at least back being a contender for the title again. Normal service restored as you all like to say. :smirk:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football

Scientists say red colour of success

March 13, 2008 THE success of football teams wearing red shirts - including Manchester United, Liverpool, and Arsenal - is no coincidence according to academics.

Their findings suggest that wearing a red shirt has given teams an advantage, thanks to our deep-rooted biological response to the colour.

The research, by the University of Plymouth and Durham University, has been published in the Journal of Sports Sciences.

Researchers analysed data on English football league results since World WarII, concentrating on how teams have performed at home when they nearly always wear their main signature kit colour.

They found teams wearing red won more often at home, while those wearing yellow or orange shirts had the worst record.

In nature, red is often associated with male aggression - and in sport, the research demonstrated competitors wearing red had increased success in Olympic combat sports.

Robert Barton, a professor from Durham University, said: "We see a couple of possible explanations. Firstly, over time supporters may have been subconsciously more attracted to a club wearing red, so the club has developed an increasing resource base within its community.

"Secondly, there may be a positive psychological boost from wearing red, or being associated with a red team, that is reflected on the field of play. Competing against a team in red could also impair performance."

Russell Hill, also from Durham University, said: "It is certainly true that the influx of wealthy foreign owners has changed the resources available to some teams and this should result in increased success, regardless of their shirt colour.

"Nevertheless, in close matches where teams are evenly balanced, we still predict that wearing red could tip the balance between success and failure and the red advantage will still persist."

The Scum on are on the skids big-time. Man United or Chelsea are bound to overtake them and the title in these last 10 or so games..

I agree. Pants to the second power.... that's how well they played.

:o

good result for your lot today..... :neener:

Arsenal are certainly in a dip at the moment with 4 draws in a row and again rely on a late Goal.

not that late Goals are bad,MU have had a few over the Years.

Chelsea are certainly creeping up but i still don't think they will win the PL.

only saw brief highlights of MU so can't really comment on how well (or not) they played.

Liverpool are the form Team at the moment but they lost the PL earlier in the Season.

the_numbers

"The result also halted the London club's ascendancy over City, whom they had beaten eight times in succession since 2004. Fortune certainly favoured Eriksson's team, with Ireland appearing to be offside when he cancelled out Robbie Keane's goal and Spurs being denied a late equaliser by Darren Bent when Dimitar Berbatov was incorrectly given offside." - Daily Telegraph

Thaksin must've sacrificed a chicken for his return to the Eastlands, or some pagan shite to get the kinda calls for City they got over us. It would've been 2-0 Tottenham and maybe the late header for City if not for the bloody linesmen!!! :cussing:

Cheers,

the_numbers

:sad:

Four Draws Leaves Us Needing More

Another frustrating game for which we've only ourselves to blame

Middlesbrough remain the only team that have beaten us in the league this season, back on December 9th. We have still only lost won competitive game at The Emirates. They are the only two positives we can take from yesterdayâ??s latest disappointment. We have now dropped eight points in the last four matches and have yielded top spot to Manchester United, who play their game in hand at home to Bolton on Wednesday. By the time we kick off at Stamford Bridge next Sunday, a game we have to win, we could well be six points off the pace. Chelsea now lurk just three points behind us having played a game less â?? thereâ??s every chance a domestic campaign that promised so much could fizzle out to leave us in the bronze medal position come May.

Mark Halseyâ??s performance left much to be desired yesterday, but for all the decisions he got wrong and despite the three times he got in our playerâ??s way as we approached the penalty area we really only have ourselves to blame. Middlesbrough were extremely well organised, but scored with their only chance in 90 minutes when we switched off defensively. Inevitably the snivelling ingrate Aliadiere was responsible. From then on it was just like last season as we huffed, puffed, passed, passed some more, went backwards and finally conceded position in a thicket of legs around the edge of the box. Other than Koloâ??s equaliser, we carved out just a few real opportunities, namely Cescâ??s effort which was smothered by Schwarzer and his header which grazed the upright.

I had high hopes that Robin Van Persie could inspire victory in his first start for months, but he understandably looks very rusty and short of match fitness. Iâ??ve no idea why Adebayor decided to chop his locks off midway through the kind of vein of form strikers dream of â?? it seems to have jinxed him. Eboue was typically clueless, (I am struggling to think of an Arsenal player I have disliked more in the last 15 to 20 years) and Alex Hlebâ??s trickery lacked a final product. Theo looked a real handful when he came on; I think there is a strong case for him replacing Eboue on the right or at least coming on with more than 20 minutes left.

It was a pleasure to see Eduardo yesterday â?? he hobbled out before kick off to collect his February player of the month award. I had hoped the tumultuous reception he deservedly received would inspire the team to three points, but alas no. Hereâ??s hoping for a memorable win at Stamford Bridge next week. We really need it.

I'm very depressed CK. We only have ourselves to blame. Seems we seem to be playing to the level of the competition lately. I don't know how else to explain beating Milan in the San Siro and drawing to relegation fodder. I don't want to sound pessimistic but the title has slipped away and if we're not careful could end up 3rd.

CL may be our best remaining chance for a trophy this season.

Archived