Low season=s price gourging

STFORME

Thai logic...if business is slow, raise your prices.

If there is a certain business doing good, setup your own business right next to it...just think of all the cell phone shops in MBK!

...do the Thai business people ever have an original idea? :dunno:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thai logic...if business is slow, raise your prices.

Perfect example. Booked a couple of nights in Patong via a tour operator in Krabi late last week. Got a room in hotel with pool and brekkers all in for 800 baht. It was alright but nothing to write home about. After the two days were up reception were on the phone wanting to know if I wanted to stay longer. They said that I'd been given a special price via the tour operator and normally it was 1200 baht a night. However they were prepared to cut a deal and let me have it for 1000. I explained to them that it was low season and they had very few other residents. Save for the fact that both myself and gf were ill at the time I'd have moved. I swear to God there was one other occupied room on our floor. How do I know this? Every other unoccupied room had its door wide open save for ours and one at the end of the corridor. In the morning sat in the restaurant apart from myself farting and the omelette maker mincing the only other sound came from the tumble weed blowing through the vacant building.

Indeed, just spent 3 nights in Partya at my usual dig. Paid 500b/night 15 years ago, upped the price to 600, 700, 800 at my last visit 6 months ago, was quoted 900 now. When I mentionned "low season now" answer was "price all year"

So, at this price point I will start looking at other places.

Same goes for my usual bangkok cave, paid 800 b for the last ten years, then they renovated the swimmong pool and upped the price to 880, ok fair enough.

Six months later 990.

At my last and very last visit two months ago the reception warned me: "hotel fully renovated, 1180 baht now". Sure that renovation is a joke.

I started staying at an other place two years ago at 1k baht, they upped the price to 1200 via my agent,normal internet price still 1500 and up.

I also stayed at The Palazzo via this website's agent at 1200b. Excellent location next to the MP's :elephant:

Some Thai businesses are upping the price and lock themselves out of the market: better alternatives available :D

The tee rak has a small massage in a local Bangkok Thai area. A nearby massage shop raised their prices. Tee rak asked me, "...what to do?".

I told her, do not raise her prices.

Tee rak maintained her lower prices. Two weeks later, this other massage shop reduced their prices, as "no customer"!

I was like, yes, makes sense to me.

The tee rak has a small massage in a local Bangkok Thai area. A nearby massage shop raised their prices. Tee rak asked me, "...what to do?".

I told her, do not raise her prices.

Tee rak maintained her lower prices. Two weeks later, this other massage shop reduced their prices, as "no customer"!

I was like, yes, makes sense to me.

Ok....in simple economics she got 2 weeks at the lower price....

if she would have raised her price she would have "forever" at the new higher price....

OC

Ok,... in simple economics she got MORE customers and increased REVENUE. Now if the new customers liked her service better she now has MORE customers from now on! :stirthepo

Yes, exactly.

The new customers came away from the other massage shop pissed that they were getting ripped off.

We increased our customer base by maintaining fair prices and not trying to gouge.

yes , but how long did the increase of customers last....

I guess its also crystal ball time now as you did not know if the other place would lower their prices,

And how long after she got new customers would she think that a raise in price would not hurt the customer base.....

now she is stuck at the original price.....

OC

Archived