Low season=s price gourging

STFORME

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All things considered, the rent for the shop is the same, utilities are about the same and the customer base has increased.

One thing with a massage, about 50% of the customers are "loyal" and provide a steady flow of customers. The other 50% will float in and out, try other shops (same as me) and some never return.

Every business is a gamble. You may make a profit you may not. As long as our expenses remain constant, no need to raise prices as we make an acceptable profit.

Sometimes we do a promotion, hand out and stamp business cards so after x amount of massages, you get one free.

Everyone likes that four letter word, FREE!

In slightly more complicated economics it is natural for prices to rise overtime. If they don't rise both massage places are losing out due to inflation. Should probably be increases prices by at least 5% a year in Thailand.

That is what we are taught, but I personally feel such thinking has flaws in it.

For example, I have a store in the States. One of my rules is: Don't raise prices. That's right, I never raise the prices on items I stock. Items I carried 8 years ago are being sold at the same price or cheaper today. Why? I make money on repeat customers. As my sales increase, I try to buy the products at a better price. Otherwards, I make the same amount of profit per sale, while at the same time I am making more sales.

Items I stock all the time, I never raise the price. Speciality items nobody knows what they should be sold at, I mark up high.

If I was running a hotel, I would try to have all the rooms occupied each and every day. There is no money to be made in having expensive rooms if nobody rents the rooms.

Same as it's stupid to have a bar full of empty seats because your prices are too high.

One thing I've heard from soi 33 bar owner is that nowadays it's getting rare to have expat customers that blow away tens of thousands of baht in one night because the companies are hiring foreigners on local Thai contracts. Even many of the ones who used to get expat salaries are now on local contracts or sent back to farangland. That's why it's getting hard for soi 33 bars to make profit and rents are going off the roof at the same time.

Just got back today from a 6 day Pattaya excape. How anybody can complain is beyond me!

I had a 2 room "suite" in the Soi Buakow area for B400 per night, many other great rooms going for B500. I was never overcharged by any vendor, including on Walking St because I have enough brains to ask "How much?', it's not that difficult.

In the discos, the ratio of providers to buyers was better than 20/1; I could have used a bodyguard.

Walking St. after 10pm was an endless parade of willing bodies of all descriptions. The Go-Go's always had a good seat available and even the haughtiest showgirls were making eye-contact with anything that had a wallet; short times were negotiable to B1000 for even the hottest of the hot.

Enforcement on the beach is spotty but as usual, there are some gems to be found, especially in the late afternoon and early evening.

Low season ROCKS!!!

[color:blue]Many thanks for your report, Dddave.[/color]

While reading your enthusiastic descriptions about the situation in Pattaya I wistfully start dreaming and in thoughts I am strolling slowly along Walking Street. While dreaming I get more and more homesick. Melancholy is overwhelming me when I think of all the puuyings suay mak mak who are waiting for me right now in low season.

You write: "In the discos, the ratio of providers to buyers was better than 20/1; I could have used a bodyguard."

Oh my goodness. Male dreams come true.

In my head a map of WS is unfolding and all the bars appear in my mind with their blinking neon signs and the door girls calling their coaxing "Hello, handsome man". Slowly I am roaming through WS, passing the gogo bars like Peppermint and the Soi Diamond.

I should packing my bag and move my fucking ass to the airport ...

By the way: Today the sun has reached the tropic of cancer. 18 to 19 hours daylight in Hamburg now .... it is great.

But nevertheless. I would prefer being in Pattaya now.

Greetings from Hamburg

and counting the days ...

Archived