Revolt over school amulets

limbo

OH,

I believe the moral here is take responsibility for your actions and don't rely on a hunk of plater to protect you, rely on your own proper thoughts and actions...

I do believe the newer (more modern, more sophisticated :) ) generation isn't picking up on all those superstitious stories, amulets and what not... but apparently it's not uncommon to see such beliefs making their way from the villages to the cities every now and again.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>Over the years I've seen quite a few farangs in >LOS, their necks weighed down with gold chains and >numerous amulets. What's that all about? Have they >just lost the plot?

Can you say, "scam"?

Can you say, "dumb azz"?

Like the St. Christopher medal we used to have in the car in the USA. We used to say once the car's speed exceeded 80 mph, St. Christopher jumped out of the car!

Over the years I've seen quite a few farangs in LOS, their necks weighed down with gold chains and numerous amulets. What's that all about? Have they just lost the plot?

Nah... they're just trying to show that they're "in-the-know" about Thailand, understand the "kulcha" to a "t", and know what it's all about!!

Bloody experts, mate! :smirk:

Most wouldn't even know the first thing about Buddhism, or even whether they should wear an "odd" or "even" number of amulets around their necks - I've seen heaps of farangs get that one wrong... it gets strange, quizzical looks from the locals too. :doah:

i know next to nothing about Buddhism but wear a Buddha on a chain around my neck.

it was given to me by a Girl of about 4 when i visited her 'house' and met all the Family in what i perceived as a poor part of BKK.

she was adorable and gave me the Buddha from around her neck.

i accepted it because it was a gift from har and her Father urged me to take it.

what does this say about me?.

am i silly for wearing it or is it OK as it was a gift?.

Sayjann,

I honestly don't think that whether you decide to wear the amulet or not has (should have) any influence on the value of the gift or its 'hidden powers'.

Her kind offer was in itself very memorable and special, wearing it adds nothing to it IMHO.

No, absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a single amulet that was gifted to you.

Big difference between that and going out and buying a dozen amulets and attaching them to a 10 baht gold chain around your neck and then going around with your shirt open to your waist.

No, absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a single amulet that was gifted to you.

Big difference between that and going out and buying a dozen amulets and attaching them to a 10 baht gold chain around your neck and then going around with your shirt open to your waist.

I think you just described Limbo :D

Anyway, agree!

Limbo wearing his Vitesse shirt was far more horrifying to me.......... :doah:

i don't wear the Buddha for any reason apart from that it was a gift.

i'm lazy and have never (to my shame) bothered to find out reasons why Thais wear them.

obviously it is in reference to their religion but i have no idea if different types mean different things.

i have also been given many of the wristbands by Friends and i still wear these.

i wear them because again they were gifts from friends.

i don't know what the criteria is for a Thai to get one but many friends have given me the one from their wrist when i leaving LOS.

i suppose they just go and get another one the next Day?.

i have also been the recipitent of flowers and garlands from friends when i left LOS.

little acts of kindness mean a lot to me.........

Archived