Revolt over school amulets

limbo

This whole amulet thing is getting way out of hand, it's the same kind of amulet, with a Jatukham Rammathep on it that I encountered during my recent trip (trip report here) to Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Revolt over school amulets

More than 500 parents and students of a school in Nakhon Si Thammarat yesterday marched in protest against its director's order to have each student buy at least one Jatukham Rammathep amulet produced on behalf of the school.

The rally began at 7am with protesters verbally attacking Seri Sripakphraek, the director of Phra Phrome Phitthayanusorn School, through loudspeakers.

They accused him of questionable ethics and demanded his resignation.

The protest ended when Seri showed up and said that he would seek a transfer.

The parents said that Seri and his wife had produced 500 amulets using the name of the school without permission from the parents-teachers' association.

They said his order to make each of the 500 students buy an amulet at Bt599 was extremely inappropriate.

A student said Seri also ordered each student in the upper high-school classes to sell 50 certificates for regular amulets, and another 50 certificates for a special Jatukham Rammathep edition that would soon be produced at Bt1,499 in return for a 20-per-cent sales commission.

Parents of those in the high-school classes initially agreed to comply with the order, given last Friday, but later changed their minds and mobilised to remove Seri.

The protesters later sent four people, two each representing parents and students, to discuss the problem with a senior education official, who later mediated in negotiations between the group and Seri, who agreed to voluntarily seek a transfer.

Seri has been transferred to a temporary post at a regional education office in the province with immediate effect.

At the request of the parents, the school's management agreed to stop producing the amulets using the school's name and replaced some of the teachers who were close to Seri and were involved in the production of the amulets.

The Nation 21/06/07

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the past it wasn't unheard of for a headmaster to require parents to buy new desks for a school - every single year! No desk and the kid couldn't go to school. Seemed to be most common in rural Isaan.

p.s. This Jatukham Ramathep nonsense is something unbelievable. Maybe we should start making Harry Potter amulets.

In Nakhon Si Thammarat they have almost daily amulet makings in the temple.

In Samui there were a few places where one could buy amulets but right now you can buy amulets in almost every building that was empty a week ago!

It's getting insane.

I know these particular amulets are selling for over 3000bht each in some cases, and the sets are just insanely priced...Apparently related to the King wearing one when he was released from the hospital, and a famous police chief (or whatever) wearing one as well...seems he died recently, but he felt, or it was believed his success and safety were related to his wearing one of these amulets, produced by this one particular monk. Counterfeits are rampent...which also is not "very Bhuddist..."

This Jatukham supposedly brings success / financial prosperity (bla bla) to the wearer.. but it seems that some Thai folks have taken this too litterally. So now (introduced by some headmonk) there are Jatukham cookies available to reduce the cost of food? ... but in a broader and truer sense to tell people they need to work hard for the kind of success that they believe is awaiting them.

Can't wait to see the first farang wearing one of those huge things. No offense guys! :)

The guy I like is Luam Phra Koon, at Wat Ban Rai in Korat. He always denies he has any special powers, yet was/is able to exploit the people into giving him money, which he uses to build schools, tech centers etc...so at least it doesn't get wasted.

The funny story I heard was a guy who had had LPK bless his car, and had all these Bhudda and LPK amulets in the car had an accident. He went back and told LPK the story "...I had been drinking, and was driving at 140kph, in the rain, at night, and I went off the rode and nearly died...why didn't you protect me? why didn't Bhudda protect me...?" LPK is said to have replied "...Because Bhudda and I jumped out when you hit 100kph..."

I believe the moral here is take responsibility for your actions and don't rely on a hunk of plaster to protect you, rely on your own proper thoughts and actions...

Already seen quite a few farangs in Bangkok wearing them... twats.

Same same for farangs wearing yellow "you-know-who" shirts - especially when not on a Monday!

(Apologies to all farangs who have to wear one on Mondays as part of their job!) :)

Archived