Street gambling game

stanny

Just 2 minutes walking distance from my apartment there is a group of tough looking men gathered around a table and they seem to be gambling with money notes splashed everywhere. At first I thought they were playing cards of some sort but it doesn't seem so. There is actually some sort of mat which has all sort of numbers which is really confusing. It's like the table game Sic Bo or something but I don't see any dice. I think I'm going to place a bet tomorrow but how should I start? I don't speak a single word of Thai and if I win, there might be a chance I wouldn't win at all, if you get my drift. I want to take a picture of them as well, but they might think I am an undercover cop and might kill me. Thoughts?

It's good that you're keeping an open mind, but man, these income generation ideas of yours are starting at the wrong end! I would suggest begging and pickpocketing before street gambling or gigolo work - much less likely to get killed.

I do realise you're approaching this from a sanuk perspective, but just a thought: gambling is illegal in Thailand - of course Thais love to gamble, but probably not with unknown foreigners (in which case it's called a scam or a sting). Keep on eye on the Pattaya Daily Mail for the occasional absurd stories of gambling busts - where the money involved is a couple hundred baht total (of course, it does often seem that someone in the room tends to possess a bit of one proscribed substance or another).

good luck -

YimSiam

My advice is just keep away..... u have no clue what ur getting into and ur just inviting trouble. I went thru this and had a very good (bad) exp., many moons ago with a hard core women gambler.

Just enjoy the finer things in life, what thai has to offer....

cheers

What's your next topic? Selling your organs? bank robbing etiquette?

You ever think of a J---O---B????

The organ sales markets been bollocksed since them Bolivians and Bangladeshi's started undercutting us decent folk who've lived here all our lives, you can't make the living like you could do six years ago.

Bank robbing still good money to be made although them cameras can identify you from your irises so make sure you wear sunglasses with your balaclava.

Cheers

Archived