Preparing an old laptop for a Thai kid

soongmak

Hi,

I've got an old laptop that I want to give to my 12 year old nephew. It's a 2001 model, with 500 megs Ram and a 1200 (hertz? Megahertz?) AMD athlon processor and it came with an OEM windows XP version in the dutch language.

How can I transform this laptop so that it works with Thai windows XP? What do I need?

Do I have to buy a bootleg version of thai windows XP? A Thai Keyboard? Are there some special problems related to this issue? Would like to hear some input from the computer experts out here what the best way is to get this done.

Cheers!

Hi,

Not certain, but you may be able to add Thai language to the current installation.

Thai keyboard would be necessary I would think. You can get a decent one for about 200-300 Baht in BKK and use that instead of the laptop's own keyboard.

Alternatively, you could get stickers to put on all the keys :)

Sanuk!

• 2 weeks later...

Once you install XP, you can install Thai language support by going to control panel/regional and language settings and add Thai keyboard support. Microsoft offers various Thai support--make sure you add Thai kedmanee keyboard support since there is more the one Thai keyboard (i.e., they are mapped differently), and at least in my experience, kedmanee is most prevalent--certainly in the 200-300 baht range you are looking at. I believe Kedmanee was the typewriter mapping and now most common keyboard. As you add the support you can choose or take default on how you switch the keyboard from English to Thai (in my case left cntl and left shift).

Since most kids go on line (and go to gaming and music sites where viruses and spyware is rampant) might want to get security on XP current (I am sure there are some threads here or elsewhere on how to do that with pirated XP) and a good AV and spyware.

Given age of computer, I would not add any more memory, XP and most complementary programs, etc. runs fine on 512M unless you start running video editing or try opening multiple large programs (like Adobe programs)and try to do so multiprocessing. Given the kid is 12--this won't happen. Again, given his age and computer age, the kid might be frustrated trying to run some of the new games on your computer as it probably has a motherboard-based graphics card (OK for running some rudimentary games, but probably nothing with 3D and certainly none of the most current games). Tell the kid not to waste his money buying these because he will be disappointed.

manaomaiminam,

Some very nice tips you got. Do I have to reinstall windows or can I add the thai language support after XP is installed? Would save me the hassle of reinstalling.

I like the tip about new games, makes sense. I will see if I can install some old games. He lives in a remote area, so internet access is not possible, unfortunately. I will install a free antivirus program though.

No, you don't have to reinstall windows. After XP installation, simply go where I stated control panel/regional settings/languages (tab) and do your selection. Make sure you understand how to switch (that is another selection on the page) and then reboot. That's it. The Thai-English selection does not seem to be global, i.e., it goes from application to application. For instance, you can be in Word or in an e-mail application in Thai, while on the web in English. Using the "switch" key combo flips you back and forth in whatever you are in.

Archived