Organic Food

The_Munchmaster

It's certainly not a fad for many people and non supermarket, non mass produced foods do usually taste better. I don't think it's just a case of 'organic' foods are better, genuine free range eggs and chicken are superior in taste to 'factory farm' produced product, even if they are fed some non organic feeds. Likewise, certain strains of tomotoes taste better than the high yealding strains grown by the comercial growers for the big supermarkets, even if they have been fed non organic fertiliser. If you want high quality food, avoid the supermarkets, and buy from the local growers/producers, or grow your own.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teddy: â??Here's a thought. Let's get an egg and start our own chicken farm. We'll have all the eggs we can eat.â?Â

Faustian: â??Right. We'll need a chicken.â?Â

Teddy: â??No. We need an egg first. That's where you get the chicken.â?Â

Faustian: â??Cobblers. Without a chicken, where do you get an egg?â?Â

Teddy: â??From the chicken that comes from the egg.â?Â

Faustian: â??But you need an egg to have a chicken.â?Â

Teddy: â??But you get the chicken to get the egg. Then you get the egg ... the chicken out.â?Â

Faustian: â??Hang on. Let's go over this again.â?Â

Teddy: â??The egg, obviously. Rolling along, happy as Larry, then crack! Hatches into the first chicken.â?Â

Faustian: â??But where'd the egg come from?â?Â

Teddy: â??What do you mean?â?Â

Faustian: â??Egg comes rolling along, happy as Larry. It's wondering, where'd it come from? Without a chicken, you get no egg to come rolling along.â?Â

Teddy: â?ÂWithout an egg, you get no chicken to lay the other egg that hatches into the chicken I mentioned.â?Â

Faustian: â??We got two eggs now?â?Â

Teddy: â??No, we're still talking about the first egg.â?Â

Faustian: â??What about the first chicken?â?Â

Teddy: â??It's in the first egg.â?Â

Munchie: â??Er, guys? Guys? I'm trying to talk to this young lady over here.â?Â

Teddy: â??Sorry, Munchie. Beg your pardon. Won't happen again.â?Â

Munchie: â??Thanks Teddy.â?Â

Teddy, another reason to buy organic free range eggs rather than just free range, is too do with the flock size. I forget the exact figures, but most supermarket free range eggs come from farms with huge flocks and so even though they are in theory free range many of the eggs are in fact barn eggs as dominant hens in large flocks will block and restrict access to the doorways that allow hens access to the outside of the block. In the case of free range egg that are also organic there are maximum flock size requirements which allow more of or perhaps all of the hens too be truely free range. I usually buy my free range eggs from my butcher who gets them from a local farm i have driven past many times and seen the hen outside. I can certainly tell the difference as well when eating them. If i do happen to buy some from the supermarket i would normally buy organic.

Simie.

Simie,

Fascinating stuff, I will have to buy a book about organic foods and learn some more.

With regards to your comments on driving past the farm and seeing the hens for yourself. If you go to Harrods food hall, you can buy free range and organic eggs from chickens that you can see via a webcam fed directly from the various farms to the egg counter. Cost a feckin fortune though.

Archived