Organic Food

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Munchie, i bow too your wisdom on matters regarding Scotch, as even though my father was from Carnoustie i don't really have a taste for it myself. Not really a great spirits drinker anyway only the odd G & T now and then. I assume you also have them pop in some protein supplements for Teddy and his bodybuilding programme? With regard to his skinny leg problem i mean :)

Simie.

I just cut up some chicken breast and it was more like jelly than meat. The meat is injected with water to make it look bigger. Conventional vegetables also have more water in them than organic vegetables which makes me wonder whether conventional really is better value than organic.

Many foods produced organically won't necessarily look or taste any better than non organic foods. That is not the objective of the organic farmer or the buyer of organic produce, although they are frequently superior in that regard. The main objective is to reduce your 'body burden', or the accumulation of potentially dangerous levels of chemicals in the body. But it goes beyond that self centered view. If, by buying organic we also reduce the amount of pesticides, industrial chemicals & other poisons from entering the air, land and water, then this also is a good thing. So, the organic concept seems to be a win win situation. Yes, they cost more, but the differential is shrinking. Organic foods have been one of the fastest growing segments of the marketplace. Start reading labels, this is a good place to start. BHT listed on your cereal box? Seems to be used as an embalming fluid as well. Even the decline in the quality of semen in recent years has been attributed to chemicals we are exposed to.

The health benefits are just marketing and there's no scientific evidence to back it up. There are as many studies showing semen quality has remained the same as there are studies showing they have declined but that's not what the media wants to report. Chemicals are used in organic farming but they're "natural" chemicals which may or may not be worse than man-made chemicals. E.g. on the subject of sperm quality it was speculated that chemicals in cosmetics were damaging sperm but the only cosmetic ingredients proved to be gender benders are tea tree oil and lavender oil. Who knows what the "natural" chemicals used in organic farming are doing to you?

I just cut up some chicken breast and it was more like jelly than meat. The meat is injected with water to make it look bigger. Conventional vegetables also have more water in them than organic vegetables which makes me wonder whether conventional really is better value than organic.

Have you ever noticed that when you roast a battery produced chicken that it shrinks and looks very scrawny. That is because the water that is pumped into it to make it look plump evaporates during the cooking. You don't get that with the organic chickens.

Also have you ever noticed that when we were all young, the meat on a chicken leg was much darker than the breast. Nowadays it is almost the same colour as the breast. That is because the chickens don't get any exercise and therefore do not develop any muscle in their legs.

Also compare an organic chicken and a battery produced chicken in the supermarket. You will notice that the legs on the battery chicken are cut off below the knee joint (does a chicken have a knee?). That is because if they left them on, you would see that they are completely black because the chicken spends it's sorry life standing in shit. :barf:

free range eggs do taste better and i have a local farm i get them from, i've never thought of them as 'organic' just eggs, only recently this organic label getting dished around??

Could that be due to the breed of chicken instead of whether "free range" or not?

Archived