Organic Food

The_Munchmaster

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Enlightened"?! Don't make me lgh (8).gif. More money for the same food, just coz it comes in a fancy recycled brown paper bag with a picture of some trees on it! :shakehead These 'organic' food growers are lgh (19).gif all the way to the bank.

Anyway I thought I told you that there was no need to reply?!

I defy anyone to try an organic free range egg after tasting a normal battery hen laid egg and say that they can't taste the difference.

Whilst I agree that many products labelled organic are not much different to any other factory produced products, there are certain foods where the organic varieties stand out and are worth the extra pennies. I would include:

Eggs,

Chicken

Vegtables

Fruit

Bread

Also, have a look at this before you next sit down to a nice boiled egg for breakfast.

Enjoy your eggs :yikes:

Guest lazyphil

free range eggs do taste better and i have a local farm i get them from, i've never thought of them as 'organic' just eggs, only recently this organic label getting dished around??

Free range eggs come chickens that are free to roam as it where, however they can still be fed on non organic feed. An organic free range egg comes from chickens that are free range and are fed solely on natural organic feed. They are tastier than free range but only slightly more expensive.

My mother has a lot of chickens, all free to wander and do their thing. When they are not being eaten by foxes, they produce the most delicious eggs i've ever had. My mother hasn't bought an egg in years, although she often has to buy more chickens...

"Organic" meat only has to be 75% fed on organic feed. I'm sure the farmer makes absolutely sure he doesn't accidently feed the animals more of the cheaper feed.

Do you trust food certified as organic in obscure third world countries? That's where most of it seems to come from, at least in UK supermarkets.

I reckon its a fad and a rort.

Anyway, what's the point of eating organic food if I'm going to go out on the weekend and drink countless beers and bourbons and smoke like a chimney?

1-in-4 of us is going to get cancer of some description and I don't think organic food is going to do anything to change that fact.

I do buy free-range eggs however, for humanitarian (chicken-a-tarian?) reasons as I reckon the way battery hens are kept is barbaric. They do taste better too.

But I did a test recently where I bought some "regular" tomatoes and some "organic" tomatoes (at double the price) on the same day. I did a taste-test and couldn't tell the difference. Not one bit.

It's all an evil marketing ploy if you ask me!

Archived