How secure is using GPRS/EDGE?

mongatu

Well, I'm finally back in Pattaya for a while and I'm using DTAC's GPRS/EDGE service using my cell phone as a modem for internet access. (Btw, it's costing me 267 B per week for unlimited usage and I'm getting EDGE speed which isn't horribly painful.)

But, my questions are:

1) How secure is this connection? Would it be safe to access a bank or credit card account site or something like that over this connection?

2) Does anyone know of any better deals in Pattaya for using the mobile to connect to the internet?

As always, thanks guys for any advice on this.

I would say it is a lot safer than using an internet cafe but not as safe and your own personal connection back home. As long as you have a few safeguards it should be safe to use, like I would recommend checking every few days to make sure nothing suspicious is happening.

Actually, I do use Quicken home banking software to download most of my transactions, but I do need to occasionally log on to various bank websites to transfer funds and set up bill payments.

Sounds like I should be OK if my login passwords are being encrypted at my computer before transmission to the banks secure site.

I have been using GPRS for about a year with on-line banking, think it is a lot safer than using an apartment block's internet connection(WifI or cable) as had a couple of occasions in the past where I am sure they were checking on my browsing.

However, I always use Firefox and go to the Tools Option to delete all history, cookies etc before and after doing anything critical. I also run msconfig to disable all start-up options and use alt-cnt-delete to check what processes are running and delete anything that looks odd (if you monitor this daily you should quickly learn what is normal). The firewall is always on, of course.

Sound likes a lot of effort but actually takes less than a minute once you get into the swing of it.

I have various spyware and virus detection prog's but to be honest after the above monitoring they do not turn up much.

And, be aware that Thai gals are quite internet savvy and you do not want them looking over your shoulder. Definitely do not use the same password for banking that you use for non-critical stuff. I have three levels, the girlfriend has sussed the first for getting into windows but doesn't have a clue about my email or banking password but assumes one password fits all.

Archived