How secure is using GPRS/EDGE?

mongatu

"If the banks internet banking service is secure then no one can see what you are doing."

Wouldn't a keylogger be able to see what you're doing (on a computer) ?

Depends what level of key logging you are talking about. For a computer over the internet it would have to get into the system via trojan and then be able to send out the information dynamicaly. The type of connection is irrelivent, it's the machine that is infected nothing to do with comparative network security.

I would be more concerned about static loggers that some net cafes use and also used in business to check productivity.

Back to the OP.

I prefer to use my GPRS/EDGE connection for certain activities rather than a hotel wireless or LAN or any wireless connection apart from my secure home network.

As for internet cafe's I never use them.

Thanks to all for the advice and comments. I have done some additional research also and I am now pretty comfortable using the GPRS/EDGE connection to access secure sites, especially considering I am running NOD32 anti virus, ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, and AVG Anti-Spyware and run scans regularly. Also, I don't do stupid things like open email with attachments I am not expecting.

No keyloggers here.

Theoretically the max speed is around 230 kbps if I recall correctly, but in actual use here in Pattaya, it is highly variable and only gets near the theoretical maximum for a few seconds here and there.

When it is working well loading a typical web page seems to vary between 1 -10 kbps initially while it is looking for the target server and then spikes up to between 30 to 180 for very brief periods after it connects to the destination server and starts downloading the data. It can get very slow when it is not working well.

It's better than nothing, however.

Archived