Sukhumwit Reflections

Scam alert at the old Big Boy turned Big Boy neon pool hall on Sukhumvit:

I was playing pool there last week. It seems to be a hangout with many of the freelancers before they head out to Nana disco later on. I ended up playing pool with 6 of them. Seems they took exception to being repeatedly beaten by this farang and having to actually pay the 20baht for the game. I guess they are not used to money flowing the other way. Anyways, part way through the 7th game(in which I was again winning) the girl got some sleazy looking Thai guy (he seems to know all the freelancers well) to take over the game without even asking me. He was very good and beat me without much problem to which a couple of the bargirls applauded. Yeah, real sporting to switch in a ringer part way through a game just for the sake of beating a farang(sarcasm!). I was a bit put off by this unsportsmanlike behaviour and wanted out of there. As I walked away the waitress reminded me I had to pay the 20 baht. I placed the 20 baht right on the pool table ne including the waitress and walked away. Just as I was leaving the waitress came running out repeating that I needed to pay the 20 baht. I indicated to her that I placed it on the pool table right in front of her. We went back and of course the 20 baht was nowhere to be found and sleazy Thai guy along with his sportsmanlike freelancer friends indicated they NEVER saw me put 20baht on the table. It was obvious that either the waitress was trying to scam another 20 baht out of me or sleazy Thai guy and unsportsmanlike freelancers just helped themselves and waitress did not notice. A third possibility was that everyone was out to scam the farang just because I'm a farang who happened to win a few pool games. Anyways, it pissed me off but I decided for 20baht it was not worth the hassle. I let them know how fucked up I thought the whole thing was and threw a crumpled 20baht note on the table and left.

Just a warning to prevent anyone else from being scammed in there.

NOTE: I was not drunk or impolite or unsportsmanlike at all during the 7 games I played and gave no reason for anyone in the place to have any dislike for me other than continuously winning my games and being a farang. Most of the freelancers I beat did, however, act upset when defeated and 4 out of 6 would not even shake my hand after the game. Is this typical of bargirls when playing pool??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not typical behavior, but then again, I haven't been around Big Boy much. Never got a friendly vibe. Not a very attractive crowd. Usually long lines to play on a table.

I've been playing at New Wave and at Bamboo Bar. I've played all types of folks and almost everyone is amicable. I played a lady at least six times in one evening. Always gracious in losing. I felt bad though so I bought her a drink smile.gif" border="0

I was at New Wave yesterday and folks offered to share their meal.

I'd suggest a change in venue. I might check out Brunswick tonight if it stops raining. Looking pretty bad right now and it also took out my TV signal.

Interesting report about Country Road. Guess I gotta go in!!!

<<burp>>

I am not saying that all prostitutes and men who hang out in billards halls are without honour, but I have learned not to be surprised when they reveal themselves to be this way. I think you handled the situation properly. It is their home territory, and you are the outsider, so you really had no chance of coming out on top in that situation.

However, I have faith that people like this get what they deserve in the end. People of this calibre sooner or later scam the wrong person one day, and end up lying in a gutter with their throat slit.

JG

[ September 23, 2001: Message edited by: joegumby ]

Phil,

Nice post - your first paragraph about the barbers shops certainly struck a chord with me. Last time in Bangkok, I made the same stupid mistake as you and (based on the report of a friend who had a "great facial" there) stopped by for a haircut. This is a month ago, my hair is still recovering. Had to go to a barber back home to repair some of the damage, her first comment was "who did this to you, the gardener??".

Ditto yr comments on the general atmosphere. Definitely off my list of "things to do in Bangkok"

I love the Bangkok barber experience , my hair is a permanent state of atrophy so their trimming expertise does'nt matter .It's just a bizzare slice of LOS life , as described nicely by B.P.

Sirs

Can I recommend Sa's salon on Soi 12, a lovely quiet little sanctuary down the little soi opposite Cabbages & Condom. Many customers of the International Beer House in Soi 23 will recognise Sa - I think she was manageress there for quite a while - beautiful girl with a serious limp - but she speaks excellent English and wields a mean pair of clippers. Her rotund assistant does THE best head massage I've ever had when you have the shampoo. No hankypanky but a very pleasant experience and good value at B100 for the cut, B100 for the shampoo and blow ..... dry!

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Alfalfa:

NOTE: I was not drunk or impolite or unsportsmanlike at all during the 7 games I played and gave no reason for anyone in the place to have any dislike for me other than continuously winning my games and being a farang.

Sounds like plenty of reason to me! laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PhordPhan

smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Archived