String on wrist...?

TheCorinthian

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never asked for a wrist string, but they've been offered in important moments and on those occasions I accepted them out of respect. And I continue to wear them out of respect. I was told they should be worn until they fall off. I was thinking that might take a couple months to maybe a year or two. But they have lasted so long and are in such good shape I now start to think they will outlive me!

If I can remember, the string-tying ceremony is called sukhwan in Thai, baisi in Lao - something about tying the spirits to you, or tying your own spirit so that it doesn't leave you in times of need? Not exactly by-the-book Buddhism, but hey, if it works... Does anyone know the details of the tying-the-spirit aspect? I recall something about personal spirits that tend to fly off if not tied down or placated - or maybe that was a Burmese thing? I know there's an expert on this board somewhere, just waiting to cast light...

thanks,

YimSim

Good luck---Nuts!

Fey mut ken.

Nothing to do with good luck.

The string has a monk do what I call wa-wa, sort of praying to the strings, usually quite a few. This essentially blesses the stings. The strings when tied to your wrist to stop phee (spirits of the dead) coming into your body.

The more devout the monk is know to be the more ability to ward off spirits the string has.

Ask a Thai about *gun phee* and show them the string.

FA......

Good luck---Nuts!

Fey mut ken.

Nothing to do with good luck.

The string has a monk do what I call wa-wa, sort of praying to the strings, usually quite a few. This essentially blesses the stings. The strings when tied to your wrist to stop phee (spirits of the dead) coming into your body.

The more devout the monk is know to be the more ability to ward off spirits the string has.

Ask a Thai about *gun phee* and show them the string.

FA......

And keeping spirits out of your body isn't good luck? Not that mine hasn't room for a few or more.

I'll agree it's probably in the string, anyone can tie it on once it's been blessed.

If I remember correctly the ceromony in Lao was called a Bar See.

Archived