String on wrist...?

TheCorinthian

My understanding is that every person has 32 different spirits related to his/her being, who from time to time wonder of into space. The ceremony of tying the strings brings the spirits back home for a while, as is apprprpiate in times of celebration (Birth, death and marriage), stress (illness, difficult times) and other special occasions such as travel, significant friends visiting etc.

it is also my understanding that this is not a specifically Buddhist ceremony, but animist, adopted by Buddhists.

Anyone who knows better please correct me if i am wrong.

The first time I had them tied to me was that occasion where afterwards the (now ex) GF said ' Now we are married' She hadn't metioned anything about marriage before the ceremony, just mumbled something about friendship and good luck.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Persil. Sounds good to me - that's how I've heard it explained previously, on instances when I had it little baisi parties for me before travel.

Anyone know what these 32 spirits are about? It'd be interesting to know what is going on in Thai heads - I can't help but imagine a kind of cloud of insect-like flying spirits around their heads...

YimSiam

Indeed, I got one from a blessing at a Wat in Krabi-Ao nang area...

Interesting. My wife says this string business originated in Isaan and was not practiced in the south (Krabi) when she was growing up there. Apparently it is now common throughout Thailand. I ended up with an armload after my Ubon wedding ceremony, but none when I got hitched in Krabi. But then I only rated a measly 3 monks in Isaan, but a whopping 9 in Krabi, one of whom is now my brother-in-law... :bow:

This harkins back to the old Thai Buddhist/Animist beliefs. The string is intended to bind the person's souls to his body, lest any of the souls get separated and wander off, leaving the person ill.

This comes from Issan and Laos, and is also heavily subscribed to by the Hmong. The tying of strings occurs at many important events, such as weddings, Mother's day, father's day, just before a person sets out on a long trip, or any other time someone wants to bestow protection on another.

I had these things tied around my wrist at our wedding and house blessing. My wife tied an orange one around my wrist after receiving it from a monk in her home village.

My wife just had one tied around her wrist a few days ago as part of paying respect to her mother on Mother's Day. Similarly, her mom and dad, grandma and grandpa tied strings around her writs when she paid respect to them at Songkran.

As I said, whenever one wants to bestow blessings on another.

I had a Indian Engineer visit a little while back, his first trip overseas.

On his wrist my wife noticed string, she asked and it was very similar in belief to hers.

I suspect like many things there is a strong Indian influence here.

Well, the only thing I know is that many Hindus - in India as well as NRI's - wear these cotton wrist-strings, often [color:red]red[/color] (I am a Hindu but I do not wear it). They wear it after performing religious ceremonies (puja).

Archived