String on wrist...?

TheCorinthian

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can mean weddings, often associated with weddings, but in fact any major religious/family event (births, death, weddings, even graduations) are events where the tieing of "Lucky String" around your wrists brings luck and protection.

Personally I think Handcuffs are more suitable for all the above events

I'm sure some farang tie lots of these string things on themselves because they think it makes them look in touch with the Thais and Thailand! :rolleyes: Similar to the guys who wear lots of amulets around their necks. :shakehead

There's a wandering street vendor who sells pre made strings to Falang, made of elastic, so the Falang can slip them onto their wrists when they want to be in touch.

20 Baht, yellow, white and red. S,M,L

We get it regularly up here, the father in law is an ex monk and comes around and blesses us on high days and holidays. We normally leave it on for about three days.

The Lao were great ones for it as well, they also had ceremonies at home with a temporary altar set up and everyone holding a string connected to it sharing the power it emitted.

The new baby in the family has string tied on it's wrist almost daily, babies need a lot more luck than adults.

I wear an amulet my Mrs gave me years ago but hardly notice it's there now; she turned up the other day with one of those saucer sized things that are all the rage lately but if she thinks she's getting it on me she's got another think coming. I asked her how she knew it was a genuine one and she looked at me like I was an idiot and said... "Because it comes from Lampang".

Well silly me.

Archived