Here's Your Tax

Steve

http://www.yahoo.com/?.home=ytff

video of an Indiana man protesting the cost of his property tax by paying part of it in dollar bills and change.

I'm not one of those guys in the middle of Idaho who thinks all taxes are illegal. We need roads, a military, etc. However, I do think this behomth government run by politicians who vote themselves wages and benefits that aren't available to the majority of public and say its for the amount of work they do in a position that they asked us to vote for them to do, tag on taxes to us without any concern at all.

"The American republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with its own money" Tocqueville said almost 200 years ago and its come to fruition.

This guy in Indiana paying $25K a year in property taxes gets what in return? No wonder he is so irate as you would be hard pressed for that high of a tax even in California. I'd like to see property tax abolished and even income tax too. Get rid of the zillions of types of taxes politicans have dreamed up over the years and just have a single consumption based tax such as a sales tax. No loop holes, no deductions, no tax returns for individuals.

That link didn't work for me, here is the original article:

MUNCIE, Ind. - A landlord said he wanted people to see the pain of his property tax bill when he hauled $12,656.07 in coins and $1 bills to the county treasurer's office.

Cary Malchow said the heavy load left him "out of breath" but it was worth watching three cashiers working overtime and guarded by sheriff's deputies on Monday to count every last cent of the semi-annual payment for his home, business and rental properties.

"I did it so people can physically see what $12,000 is," said Malchow, who has staged other recent protests to draw attention to Indiana's property tax increases.

It took 75 minutes to count out the cash, said Delaware County Treasurer Warren Beebe.

"They were fast, they were hustling. They're used to counting money, but of course that left other people standing in line. It was an awkward situation," Beebe said Tuesday.

Malchow's protest prevented the office from making its daily bank deposit, costing the county an estimated $1,135.90 in interest that would have otherwise accrued overnight, Beebe said.

a few Years ago in the UK it was a way of protest to pay fines ot taxes in coinage..... :grinyes:

used to really fuck up the banks etc..... :cool:

but the Government bought in some legislation saying that it would be illegal to do this in the future.... :thumbdown:

stamps were also classed as legal tender in those Days and people would pay in stamps.

that was also outlawed.....

"...This guy in Indiana paying $25K a year in property taxes gets what in return?..."

He gets basically the same as the guy paying $10K or 3K, or 0$$$s. This is a large part of the argument behind abolishing Prop 13 here in California. It is an unequal burden on newer home owners.

Want to hear something really unfair? here in California, the kid(s) can inherit their parent's house, and assume the same (lower) tax rate their parents had, and then they can pass that on to their kids. SO basically, your great greatX10 Grand kids will be paying peanuts for taxes.

For those who don't know, Prop 13 here basically means your taxes never go up. So if you bought your home 20 years ago, you pay less than the guy who bought he home (worth the same) a year ago. The tax laws here are fucked for sure.

Where I live, property tax is based upon the Full Cash Value of the property. This value is what the owner would get if the property had to be sold very fast. I checked the county records and found one piece of property that sold for over 1 million dollars. The Full Cash Value the assessor's assessed to that house was $225,000.00. Another house that sold during the same time period the million plus dollar house sold for, was purchased for $180,000.00. The Assessors assessed a Full Cash Value for that house of $225,000.00.

Surely a $180,000 home is not equal in value of a home selling for over 1 million dollars.

Archived