GPS maps and voice commands USA/Euro

OCgringo

I was going to buy a GPS to use in both the USA and Europe

it seems that Tom Tom is the best price and has Euro maps available , a Tom Tom one is about $200 here.

But there are a couple things I do not understand,

there seems to be 2 ways voice commands work,

one says turn left in 50 ft etc

the other says turn left in 50 ft on Main street,

I think I better get the one that tells the street name ,

But what is this called ?????

one is Speach to text but no idea which is which :(

And are there maps that work on the TomTom for BKK ?

thanks for your help

OC

not sure the answer to your question....but a caution on the tomtom. I bought my wife one last year (soon after she started driving in the US...the GPS was a great investment!), and got a tomtom. The unit was highly rated, and a 'best buy".

The maps for my area (MA) were so outdated it wasn't even funny! When I inquired, new updated maps (the model I bought was pretty new itself) were almost as much as the GPS! I brought it back and bought a Garmin, which has much better maps.

I'll second the Garmin recommendation as well! Very happy with my C320 (no hard drive, so works on a motocy as well).

But I do not know the marketing name for the feature that tells you the street name vs just when to turn...

Cheers,

SD

:topic:

My wife wont let me have a GPS she just told me to "Get Lost"

Literally, when I first started driving in BKK we used to go out on a Sunday morning when the traffic was light and explore new (to me) areas and try to find my way back home, it was a great way to learn my way around the city, and also the routes out.

Archived