Brits can still have a Pint

Mekong

:smirk: The real point is that those of us who grew up using the old system prefer it because we are used to it and for no other reason, really.

Once you are used to the metric system it really is easier but you have to think in that system; which means knowing in your head what the distance,length, weight in metric relates to. Once that is firmly embedded then it is a simple task to multiply, subtract, measure etc. in metric and it is more easily accomplished in metric than the old way. For example figuring centimeters in multiples of ten is more easily done in your head than multiples of 12 as in inches or 16 as in oz.

i'm more comfortable with Imperial Measurement.

tell me sometning is 77 Inches long and within seconds i know how long it is.

tell me something is 77 Centimetres long and i have to use all my fingers and toes to work out the calculation.

when i used to run i took part in races which were measured in Miles and Kilometres.

easy to convert 3 KM into Miles and know how much longer i had to suffer.

I'm comortable with either. I just don't want anyone telling me which system I HAVE to use.

Flash ... Exactly Units are just like languages, some people can understand 2 or 3 some can understand more. The one I always got into intense discussions about was volumetric flow rates in imperial, UK Imperial is 20 Fl OZ / Pint whereas US is 16 Fl Oz / pint ... How many hours have I wasted witht he Saudis in the past when production was quoted in US Imperial yet measurements were based on UK Imperial, I have a hard time explaining this to westerners let alone Arabs and Asians.

I made light before about conevrting KPH to MPH in my head, I also do Farenheit to Celcius, PSI to BAR or NM2,Gallons / hour to tonnes per day (based on density) Its what my paymasters employ me for (or should I say one of the reasons).

Back in the UK in the 50's children were taught by rote times tables, I was a product of the 70's system and was eductated in both imperial and metric systems and I have a head full of shite known as conversion factors ... geek maybe, it pays my bills :D

Guest lazyphil

when i catch a nice pike i'm not going to say i had a good 10 kiloer.....just sounds wrong...pounder is much better thanks EU for seeing sense....and we'll keep our pound and carrying on driving on the left too :D

Archived