It pays to have a sponsor

bust

Have just finished chatting online with the Farmers Daughter. She just spent 2 nights in the cells. Apparently her and her friend got picked up with 100 yaba tabs the other night. So the first thing she does is contact the Texan. 40,000 baht and slap on the wrist and a extremely angry reuniting with her parents and that's the end of it. Her friend on the other hand doesn't have a farang sponsor. For her it was straight to court and 7-8 years. Justice at it's finest.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey bust,

Well... Would you be willing to agree that 'justice' is simply the guarantee of a predictable outcome, that one gets what one expects to get when busted, that one has fair notice of the consequences of one's action? Particularly with possession offenses, where direct harm is difficult to determine, it's hard to say that there's an inherent harm that has a corresponding penalty, right? Through this lens, I'd find your story pretty much in line with fairness and justice - the two girls knew exactly the outcome for each if they were caught, such that the girl with the Texan was fortunate enough to know that the penalties for her involvement would be far less severe, thanks to Tex, while the other girl took a much less reasonable risk... I suspect the girls are not particularly struck by the injustice in this event, nor would other Thais be.

Oh and, by the way and probably unnecessarily, I'd be very very wary of any TGs involved in this degree of the game. There's no innocent excuse.

YimSiam

My girl gets busted for yaba selling or trafficking, sorry, hate to sound harsh but I cut her off.

At the least it shows bad judgment. What if I'm in her company and she has some or we're traveling to another city and she decides to bring some along for whatever?

Can't chance it. I grew up with guys that dealt drugs and I had to cut off some very long friendships because I just coudn't chance being in the same car or locale with them if the sh*t hit the fan. I know too many guys who were just in the wrong place and got in trouble for being part of a syndicate.

Sounds harsh but the best I'd do is give her the money and then leave her permanently, depending on the kind of relationship we had. Thailand is one of the last places I'd risk getting a drug conviction.

40,000 baht and slap on the wrist and a extremely angry reuniting with her parents and that's the end of it. Her friend on the other hand doesn't have a farang sponsor. For her it was straight to court and 7-8 years. Justice at it's finest.

That's what I dislike about Thailand. Fines are low, but prson sentences steep. Consequence is that people with money can get away with murder (and I mean tha literally), while the poor suffer extreme consequences. Oh well, what else is new?

Archived