Fisticuffs over anthem!

Palatkik

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi,

"Why is it an 'outdated custom'?"

Because people have woken up a long time ago and realize that birth has nothing to do with the amount of respect one is due.

I also fail to see why certain people are supposedly better than others simply due to who they were born to.

Sanuk!

Huuum, a very western attitude there KS. Hand on heart I'd say 95% of Thais do not feel how you feel. Hence the 20 people chucking stuff at the Gentleman.

I also fail to see why certain people are supposedly better than others simply due to who they were born to. But then again, Im not Thai and dont ear a yellow shirt. I have English blood running through my viens.

Aside, in a country like Thailand I also see the extreme value of the monachy, unlike a more progressive,developed nation.

Lets not forget '92

It is a long-standing custom and it does it expect people to comply. What they did is a sign of disrespect and offensive...

To me, the reaction of the other movie-goers was expected as they believe stronly in this custom..

Being part of a collective society, it is not best to show individualism as these two did...

When people don't stand up for america's national anthem which still is over 90% that do, you will witness disapprovement or even some comments but not people taking action because individualism is recognized/understood in america and thus polar behavior is tolerated even if sitting down does not reflect their own value...

Big difference between thai and american cultures...

I wouldn't be surprised that their behavior is against some royal law and subject to arrest or financial penalty.

I was trying to cross the street the other day when one of the pricesses was passing and as we waited forever, a policeman became very upset and reacted stronly towards a group of children (7 to 10 years old) who were sitting down motioning them to get up and stand immediatedly. I would have imagined he would have done something to them if they didn't immediately complied...

This is a deep and valued tradition in thai culture..There are no other acceptable options on the table whether you believe in it or not..

CB

Outdated?

Sorry, KS. Have to disagree with you.

It's natural to judge other cultures based on our own cultural beliefs and say that they're outdated or weird.

I actually think its kind of nice and develops a sense of national pride in the citizens of a country.

Regardless of what people think of the monarchy, it is also a small way of showing respect which I also think is a good thing.

Call me old-fashioned but if society (particularly younger people) were made to show more respect in their day-to-day life there might be a few less problems in our modern-day society.

Sure, we can have opinions on other people's beliefs, customs and cultures, but if they don't cause harm to the rest of us, we shouldn't judge them based on our own beliefs and say that they're wrong and outdated to do such things.

Maybe national pride is a sensitive subject for Belgians at the moment with all the Walloons / Flemish politicking going on at the moment! A bit hard to have national pride when people in your own country can't even get on! :stirthepo

Archived