Fisticuffs over anthem!

Palatkik

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[color:green]Call me old-fashioned but if society (particularly younger people) were made to show more respect in their day-to-day life there might be a few less problems in our modern-day society.[/color]

Well, that hasn't worked in Thailand! :neener:

Beg to differ. A lot less respect is shown by the younger generation than say 20 or 30 years ago. With many working parents now, kids simply grow up on their own or are watched over by indulgent grandparents. Discipline in schools is going to hell, since caning was banned some time ago. Thailand gets more like the west every day - materialistic and selfish. Still better upcountry, but urban Thais have changed a lot. If you don't believe me, ask some Thais.

p.s. Jorges Orgibet wrote about how POLITE and CONSIDERATE Thai drivers were in the 1950s. :p

Mate, do you really think discipline is going to the dogs in schools because there is no cane?

There are so mnay more factors effecting it and caning isn't really up there in my opinion.

Personally, I think all kids should be caned - I personally was caned in school most days, atlast in my last year. Most teachers enjoy a good caning too. There is no question in my mind that if more young people were caned there would be less violence and the place would be more relaxed.

The main problem is at home. Broken families or both parents working ... and kids growing up without being taught to behave at home. Also, in the west anyway there is a change in parents' attitudes. Parents who teach their children to call adults by their first name, parents who take their child's word against the teachers etc. If anyone needs caning, some parents do!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi' date='

"Why is it an 'outdated custom'?"

Because people have woken up a long time ago and realize that birth has nothing to do with the amount of respect one is due.

I also fail to see why certain people are supposedly better than others simply due to who they were born to.

Sanuk!

[/quote']

Huuum, a very western attitude there KS. Hand on heart I'd say 95% of Thais do not feel how you feel. Hence the 20 people chucking stuff at the Gentleman.

I also fail to see why certain people are supposedly better than others simply due to who they were born to. But then again, Im not Thai and dont ear a yellow shirt. I have English blood running through my viens.

Aside, in a country like Thailand I also see the extreme value of the monachy, unlike a more progressive,developed nation.

Lets not forget '92

the robotic acceptance of this shit by thais is not as universal as you think...I'll never forget eating at that scruffy food area across from Nong Khai train station waiting for the 7-ish p.m. train to Bangkok to depart, and it's 6 and the anthem comes on...

at one table was a group of ERECT young soldier boys, and at the first notes they shot to attention from their tables.

the local Isaan folks, including the food sellers, didn't just remain seated but slouched in their chairs and adopted a seriously bored and even disgusted look in an obvious display of protest against the colonial rule over their area by the central Thais.

preahko

The main problem is at home. Broken families or both parents working ... and kids growing up without being taught to behave at home. Also, in the west anyway there is a change in parents' attitudes. Parents who teach their children to call adults by their first name, parents who take their child's word against the teachers etc. If anyone needs caning, some parents do!

Just because a man and a woman can make a baby...does not mean that they are parents!

Yes, a few head knockings of the parents are in order.

True story, my neighbor was teaching 5th garde in the USA a few years back. One student came to his class with a knife and was holding it to the throat of a young female classmate of his.

My friend, the teacher, grabbed the kid and took the knife away.

The kid went home, told his parents that the teacher took his knife.

The parents came to the school and complained.

The teacher got in trouble and suspended for a few weeks!!!

This was mostly a black/white thing, but IMO, the teacher acted in a correct manner...ohhhh, no, not to be. WTF is going on???

Archived