Money for marriage

liquidflux

I have a friend in BKK that I met about 8 years ago. She used to live here in California but was caught for overstaying, deported, and apparently blacklisted from returning. Talking to her the other day she told me that she has gotten a new passport, with a new name, and wants to come back to the US to live. She then asked me if I would be willing to marry her for a certain amount of $$$, and not an insignificant amount either. I laughed it off thinking it was a joke, but she was serious. I declined of course, knowing that a nice payoff now could end up costing me everything down the road, but it got me thinking about how often this situation might occur, and how many guys actually do it. I really have no clue about how the visa process works, but I assume you would have to be married for a certain amount of time before the "wife" could be granted permanent residency or citizenship, which is what she is after. Anyone else encountered a similar situation?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Payment of bride money is fairly common. If she is going to be your wife "for real" then pay what you think its worth. Traditionally, this money goes to her parents.

It has been said that payment is not required if the woman had been married before. There are other reasons not to pay.

You've got one thing right - a marriage could cost you a whole lot more than the bride money. Half of the marriages in the U.S. end in divorce. Cross-cultural marriages are especially at risk.

If she can get through immigration (Weird's note aboge), you can get her into the country on a fiancé visa pretty quickly, and from what I have read, a lot more quickly than a married woman's visa.

I'm sure you will read a lot of opinions about who much you should pay.

Whatever you do - good luck!

Hi

If she is deported, to my best of knowledge after the 9/11 they have started the boi-metrics & fingure printing which you cannot change like a passport.

This will be tricky.. once she land at US airport they show up on the comp.....

Just off beat...after 9/11, in Nov., I had to travel to Frankfurt from JFK, on business and on the return by LH flight I was in business class going thru some my business print outs wich our company was bidding for Boeing communication project which had whole lot details of the cockpit and other deatils for the avoinic which needs to be looked into.

I never looked around who was watching me as I was busy with the diagrams & laptop. On the 4th day we had the FBI in our office, wanting to meet me & know why I was going thru the plane designs.

:(:(

My CEO & other guys had to tell them about our company that we area a comm.,compnay I head the Network Mangen., systems division (NMS) that was the reason why i was reading the plans.

FBI told that some co-passenger informed the airlnine upon landing in JFK, that "middle easter guy" was studying the plane layouts which landed them in our office. They were doing there job but they wanted to take my figure printing which I gave. No hassels. I still wonder much how the tax payers money has gone into investigating my case... must be atleast a few 1000's $$$ as they got hold of all my cc trans., hotel / bar bills and then the long distance calls they made to India, & China, from my cell phone to cross check before they came to my office.

cheers

Even with a new Thai passport and a new name, it will still carry the original Thai National ID number, that same that is on the Thai ID card.

I have seen several passports of a lady that had changed her name, several times, but the Thai ID number was always the same on all of her passports.

...now, is the USA smart enough to know and check the Thai ID number???

Depending on what she might have been buzy with over the last 8 years you might end up in Guantanamo . In case she would consider Yeormany , the going rate is 5000 â?¬ incl guaranteed divorce after 5 years and permanent residence . This liberal behaviour has in the meantime led to a zillion overaged Siam working girls in my beloved homeland Prussia . We need fresh [color:red]blood[/color] .

BuBi

This girl is wanting to pay ME to marry her in order to get back in to the USA.

I was a little surprised to see you asking about sinsot, given your posts on the board.

Now, its a different picture. If your girl wants to pay you, you should hold out for an amount of money appropriate for your class. That is, of course, unless you aren't still a virgin :)

Archived