Come to LOS and give your money away!

Flashermac

I think maybe what Gaddy was eluding to was farang who put stuff in their wife's name where those possessions are in Thailand, not in Farangland.

Wouldn't be any need to put anything in the girl's name in Farangland, would there? :dunno:

Seeing as *most* guys who marry Thais are over 30 years of age, (maybe older - would be an interesting stat to know actually), a lot would have a house in their own name already, or left-over after a divorce etc.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moo Noi is right. I am talking about property here.

I guess I would add this: even if you have a genuinely wonderful relationship with a TG, buying a house here in her name is risky. Most relationships sour after time - the odds simply aren't good, and they get wose when there are significant cultural and age differences. Just simple facts.

A farang can buy a condo IF more than 50% of the units are Thai owned. You can't own a house.

So if, for example, there is a block with 20 condos in it, and 12 are owned by Thais then I can buy.

Is the balanced maintained?

Say 4 of the Thais sold, does that mean only 2 farangs can buy a condo?

Or is it only at the initial sale of the condos when they're built that 50% must be Thai-owned?

You can buy a condo in your own name provided the money used for the purchase is transfered into Thailand from abroad and at least 50% of the units in the building are owned by Thais, this ownership ratio must be maintained. You often see condos advertised for sale as being 'in foreign name' it increases the value.

After the financial crisis, foreigners were allowed to own 100% of the units. It takes a long time to find the space, make the plans, get the financing and then actually build a condo building. Some of condo buildings that are coming on-line now were built on the basis of investments made when foreigners could own 100% of the condos. Now the law has changed.

And, of course, there has been all of the talk for the past year about changing and expanding the Alien Business Law. The Alien Business Law doesn't directly relate to condos, but these sorts of fickle changes don't help the investmetn climate: when the chips are down, 100% foreign ownership of condos is allowed, but the moment property market seems to be recovering, well, the 50% restrictions go back into place.

It makes you wonder what else what might change when you make an investment here.

Archived