shipping packages home

dabbish

Depends where you are sending from and where it is going.

At one time, DHL was the best for Asia.

Now, they are just OK, IMO.

Fed-X is usually good everywhere.

Also, small = 10 Kg? 100 Kg?

I have used shipping agents to air ship 200 Kg control panels from the USA to Malaysia for $300 USD and got excellent service.

Sooooooooooo, depends on a few things, IME.

The shiping is reliable, but U.S. customs is as pain in the ass, EVERYTHING has to be documented, manufacturer, thread count and material, address of sale and production etc...failure to note one item results in them threatening to destroy the whole shipment, which has not happened to me yet, but 3/3 times I have shipped stuff home Fed Ex, I have had this problem.

When I arrive in Thailand in a few weeks, I plan to send a package home.

As I will be gone for 2 months+, shipping by boat is an okay alternative.

Does anyone have experience in this?

Bascially thinking of buying some clothes for family and relatives. Jeans, and shirts.

Will there be problems with sending clothes to EU?

How about food, like dried chili. Any different rules?

@cavanami: yeah does that company ship from Thailand too? if so, what is their name?

And anyone that knows how this custom and gift thing works? If I send something someone orders off the internet. Can't they be buying items for his or her friends? If so, then labeling it as a gift wouldn't be illegal right?

How big and heavy are the items?

And where are you shipping them to?

I could be wrong, but I have found shipping by boat is almost 1/5 the cost by Air. But then, if the items are heavy, the cost by shipping by boat is a lot, lot better.

If it is a lot of items, you might want to check out a Customs broker to handle your items going into your country.

1 month is a bit unacceptable shipping time. I'd like to send anything from 50 to 200 kg's to Sweden. Can't I just label the package as a gift? They will still fuck with me if what I'm shipping is a lot of quantity and cost?

But also I'm looking into sending small packages worldwide. Specifically the Thai post office Intâ??l Small Package-Air.

Title of the thread "Shipping"

OP enquires about " Intâ??l Small Package-Air?"

WTF???

It is this inaccurate use of language that got me in the shit one day.

I bought two big chairs, and a double mattress in Seattle. They said they could ship it for me (to New Zealand). I said fine, and gave them my credit card.

A few days later, back in NZ, I got a call. We have some cargo for you? I said WHO?

Auckland Airport, it had been airfreighted!!

Cost a fortune.

Is this an americanism?

@cavanami: yeah does that company ship from Thailand too? if so, what is their name?

And anyone that knows how this custom and gift thing works? If I send something someone orders off the internet. Can't they be buying items for his or her friends? If so, then labeling it as a gift wouldn't be illegal right?

No, only USA to wherever.

What happens, unless it is a very large company like Crown or DHL, etc, one company ships it and another will receive it. I always ask the shipping company to recommend a receiving company. The shipping company, if they have shipped to the country before, they will have a receiving company that they can recommend.

Archived