Basic mobile phone question...

longwoodguy74

Hey Guys,

Due to a move up the job ladder i'll be spending a large part of the year intermittently in Thailand starting next year. Despite my many thailand trips over the years i've never sprung for a mobile phone. I figure the time has come since pay phones are a real pain in the ass and i'll need a reliable contact # when in LOS now.

I'm arriving for a couple weeks of rest & relaxation shortly and figure might as well get one now.

So...

Any suggestions on places to buy around Suk? With the sim card phones is there any minimum time interval where one can lose their number if not topping off one's minutes?

Do most of you that live outside LOS keep a separate phone for use while in LOS? Or do you use global roaming?

Cheers,

LWG

Most people just swap sim cards. Of course this isn't an option for Americans. I think there's a two month cut off in Thailand before the sim expires if it's not used but you can get around that by topping up by 1000 baht or something and it gets deducted if you're inactive. Something like that.

MBK is probably your best bet. Take along a Thai speaking friend to help out if possible.

The more minutes you put on the phone, the longer the time period before the number expires.

I personally use the same phone in Thailand as I do at home. Just swap the sim card and it's a done deal. Definitely an option for us Americans.

MBK is probably your best bet. Take along a Thai speaking friend to help out if possible.

The more minutes you put on the phone, the longer the time period before the number expires.

I personally use the same phone in Thailand as I do at home. Just swap the sim card and it's a done deal. Definitely an option for us Americans.

Really? Outstanding. I hadn't thought of that! :applause: Swapping sim cards it is then...

Really? Outstanding. I hadn't thought of that! :applause: Swapping sim cards it is then...

As long as the phone is tri or quad band it will work fine. It also needs to be unlocked for the Thai sim to work. If it isn't, they can do it for you at MBK

I though America used that same closed system they do in Korea rather than sim-card based GSM.

CDMA and GSM is available here.

If you've been on ATT for a while, ask them for the unlock code. If it is a recent purchase, go to MBK to have it unlocked. Then just swap out SIM cards.

In an effort to merge threads, why not take you GTG with you to MBK to get a SIM card? Plus you could take her to to the food court, go bowling, or go to a movie.

Then, take to face bar, feed her tiramisu, and get laid

Archived