Raising a child in Thailand

unit731

It's a hard call.

Most people my age grew up with corporal punishment at home and at school but it seems to have fallen from favor now days.

I reckon I'd have done more bad shit if I'd only been yelled at rather than told that my father would get a full report when he got home.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was rarely spanked at home. I lost count of all the spankings I received in school after the first grade. I will never forget my last swat in seventh grade-it hurt like hell. After that one I said, I am done acting up and went into chill mode.

I am totally in favour of corporal punishment if it is merited by the little upstart, especially with the way I see some kids act up these days. If they were my child that child would be getting an ass beating.

But then again, I went through U.S. Marine Corps boot camp, so I would just put my child on the quarterdeck for about fifteen minutes. Can you say puddle of sweat on the floor... :evil:

As my father used to say, "I brought you into this world and I will take you out of it if you do not chill the f' out!" Ah, spoken from the heart of love...

The "Threat" is the trick

My daughters school and my mother introduced us to "Time Out" which we now use on our son aged 2.

Kid is naughty - told he'll get time out if he does it again - then if he does (or was REALLY naughty) he is taken to a boring place (another room - whatever) like the "corner". Hold he/her hand down by their sides, and whisper why they have been naughty not to do it again and stay with the for a few minutes (younger kids) to leaving them there for 5 minutes (older kids)

Point also is to let the kid know they are norally "good" kids - give the some positives to hatch onto - don't continually tell them they are bad or they'll start to believe you.

I was a "little spank won't hurt" person till now and the results have been pretty amazing with both kids. Positive reinforcement is a must, words do hurt more than sticks so never say something cruel.

• 2 weeks later...

Totally agree with the above. I too thought that a slap was good for truly dangerous behaviour (power socket, etc) but then I found out that yelling at her is just as effective and perhaps more so as I don't hit very hard. :)

Her mum hits her sometimes, but again so softly it hardly registers. ;)

The kid also hears very well from my voice if it's truly serious or I'm just going through the motions ('don't make drawings on the furniture!') which is the tone of voice for anything that's not potentially lethal, and then the really serious one for totally unacceptable/dangerous things, usually followed by a very heart-felt lecture and a hug.

And we have the little Time-Out chairs/stools as well. :)

Point also is to let the kid know they are normally "good" kids ; don't continually tell them they are bad or they'll start to believe you.

Ours is very good in being exceptionally good after being bad...or falling asleep, which is good, too. :)

• 1 year later...
Raising a child in Thailand.

Discipling a child. Is it the "Thai way" to in any way hit a child for discipline reasons?

All too common.

Just witnessed a thai woman repeatedly hitting her 2 year old son with a stick. Of course the kid was crying his lungs out. 2 minutes passed and the woman apparently decided that he got off too easy and gave him another beating with the stick.

Well' date=' most adults were brought up that way too, so they think nothing of doing the same to their offspring. The pattern repeats itself.

[/quote']

To the contrary, not common whatsoever. Rarer than not....

Archived