Raising a child in Thailand

unit731

Raising a child in Thailand.

Discipling a child. Is it the "Thai way" to in any way hit a child for discipline reasons? I am not talking about fist fights or child abuse, just a hit or spank to stop bad behavior of child say younger than 8 years old.

In most/many Western countries, one does not hit neither a child nor a dog for that matter in training nor discipline. The jury is out whether to actually spank the child's butt on an occaision.

In Thailand, is it common practice for a mother to hit or slap a child for poor or unacceptable behavior or to stop such behavior?

Any parents out there? How do you discipline your child/children? How does one correct inappropriate behavior for a young child? How does one stop mild temper tantrums?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They won't let you into the Apostle club no matter how good you are, only 12 memberships and they're already taken.

As for hitting a child, it is wrong in any country in the world and I believe most parents who do it do so to ease their own frustrations and tempers and not for the good of the child.

Raising a child in Thailand.

Discipling a child. Is it the "Thai way" to in any way hit a child for discipline reasons?

All too common.

Just witnessed a thai woman repeatedly hitting her 2 year old son with a stick. Of course the kid was crying his lungs out. 2 minutes passed and the woman apparently decided that he got off too easy and gave him another beating with the stick.

Well, most adults were brought up that way too, so they think nothing of doing the same to their offspring. The pattern repeats itself.

Unit731,

I've seen many parents choosing the easy way by either ignoring such behavior or using physical punishment.

My daughter will be 2 in a couple of months and even at this young age she understands why certain behaviors are unacceptable simply because I communicate with her.

Some parents either lack the energy and patience to communicate with their kids or are unaware of the benefits of this powerful tool.

Kids misbehave, simple as that, it's just a small part of their learning process, BUT there's a time, place and limit for that, like anything else in life really, and of course.. raising kids is (at times) a stressful and physically draining job and it's a shame some parents don't realize that BEFORE they decide to have them or aren't mentally prepared / determined to improve themselves as a parent on whatever needed area of their parental skills.

P.S. I'm definitely not competing for the Daddy-Of-The-Year Award but I have accepted my shortcomings as a father and improved a lot along the way and I think I'm doing a good job.

Well, ... maybe my daughter needs to confirm that in a few years' time. :)

Archived