Helloooo Leopard

Coss

Ok,I'm using Leopard at work for 8+ hours a day - cutting code mainly - and I dont really have a problem other than the fact that Finder still seems pretty sluggish to me, particularly compared to the speed with which the majority of other apps respond. One of the Mac fanboys tells me that this is because the Mac filesystem is a lot more complex than either Windoze or other *nixes : for me, I prefer to use terminal to get where I need to be, then fire up the app I need from there.

One of the other developers told me that he has found some annoying bugs, but it doesnt seem to have affected his ability to get the job done. We arent doing anything particularly heavy-duty, but the designer types downstairs dont seem to be having any problems with their pretty pictures etc. Dont know how its being received in the music and video market, but that's about 180 deg from my needs.

End of the day, I'm a lot happier with Leopard than my (admittedly brief) experience with Vista, but I'm not going to get religious about it. It always elicits a smile when I read a forum entry that starts with 'I switched to OS X from Windows a month back, and I just love it to death !' : reminiscent of the Cheech and Chong skit where the hippie says 'I was all messed up on drugs, now I'm all messed up on the Lord !'

Later,

Artie

Cheers,

Gobble

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly is, NongSung. 10.5.1 hasnt made me more attractive to women, but my recent issues havent been with OS X itself. If you have anything from Logitech, and have installed their Control Center, you may be in for a few surprises ...

Short story is that Logitech are using an obsolete version of something called APE, and that talks directly to the operating system kernel (specifically in contravention of Apples recommendations..). In my case, I couldnt restart my Macbook Pro after putting it to sleep, but there are a lot more horrific symptoms:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5841904

• 2 weeks later...

I've now got leopard working beautifully on a G5 dual core tower. I should say I've got leopard compatible software now, and leopard is not the cause. Except! take out any and all fire wire cards, cables etc when you do it. They work fine afterwards, but during the install they cause leopard to freak.

Now for the laptop, should be easy as I've now got all the compatible software.

Cheers

Coss

Archived