Consumer Alert - Thigh Bar

Sarisin

Thigh Bar used to be on my A-List for Patpong as they have IMO the most attractive lineup of dancers in town. However, last night I went there and not only have taken them off my A-List, but the B, C, and D lists as well. Here's why:

Getting swarmed in Thigh Bar is de rigeur as it is in many of the 'pong's gogo bars. Along, with the dancers you have to contend with an absolutely non-ending procession of waitresses, cashier, mamasans, welcome girls, and other assorted cockroaches. I chase most away and buy drinks for only a few close friends. But, the sad part, is they just won't give up and it just kills your sanuk when you are trying to concentrate on your lady and these pests are whining and tugging on your sleeve.

Again, I have tolerated this in the past, as I do enjoy the fine ladies of this bar. But, no more.

Before I noticed the gang liked to have shots of tequila (you may recall my previous Consumer Alert on this same bar as they only dispensed half shots of tequila while charging you the full price). Well, this time everyone was coming back with a wine glass filled with ice and about two ounces of something they called white wine, but may have been monkey piss. Regardless, the price for a glass of white wine: 160 baht. Yes, you read that right. And, that's just about all they want to drink. Watch your bill escalate quickly in this bar if you buy lady drinks.

But, wait, there is more.

I asked about barfining a dancer. Sure, it was possible I was told. However, before I could muster the honor of barfining one of the ladies, it was required I buy at least four lady drinks. Can you believe this crap? So, four lady drinks (white wine of course) at 640 baht and the barfine of 400 baht (big break there, huh?) and you are over 1,000 baht before you have the lady out the door.

Even the girls are upset with this new policy, but it doesn't stop them from asking for more white wine. They would not tell me their commission on it.

So, my advice to you is to skip Thigh Bar unless you have a pocket bulging with baht and a very high threshold for pain.

Interestingly, the two bars I enjoyed the most last night turned out to be King's Castle II (I usually disdain the King's Group gogo bars) and Goldfinger's. The latter is probably my favorite bar in the 'pong for the music and fun. The dancers are so-so.

I did end up with a great tripleheader that I managed to accidentally score when I ran into a friend from King's Castle I (formerly of Thigh Bar, but she left after the crap started) and two of her friends.

For you guys interesting in closing times in Patpong, the lights came on in King's Garden (previously somewhat of an outdoors Thermae) at 2AM sharp. Still, my friend found a restaurant on Patpong 2 that was open and served us beer in cardboard cups. Yum. Also, I noticed a few beer bars open in Patpong 2 at around 3:30am as we headed to Surawongse for a taxi.

Now please excuse me while I rest. These tripleheaders take their toll on this old guy.

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: Sarisin ]

Well, I spent the weekend in a bar in Dublin and they turned the lights on at 2am and I looked around for the go go girls and then realised I had had too much Guinness and still had 30 days to go.

It really is not the same here..........

I look forward to hearing the details on the tripleheader on the 28th Sarisin. When do you leave BKK by the way??

uniformguy smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Sarisin:

Thigh Bar used to be

I could have written a post like this myself last week as I felt totally ripped off as well leaving the Thigh Bar. B760 for fifteen minutes of being hassled by a couple of aging witches of mamasans and some Chinese looking tomboy! To their credit these mamasans do fix you up with a fine looking dancer faster than you can count all of the bar tabs coming in but the 160B lady drinks without telling you spoilt it for me along with sour faces when you won't by them another 160B lady drink.

Cheers

Sarisin,

Thanks for the heads-up on Thigh bar as you won't be around to protect me I would have gotten clobbered for sure with this scam. Maybe this is the Thai way of making up for lost revenue due to early closings and fewer customers... Too bad, Thigh bar used to be a fun place, now it sounds like one of the upstairs clip joints. Things must really be changing in Patpong for King's Castle II to make your A-list. BTW, does anyone know if their #1 sexy girl Bear still works there? Regrettably, it's starting to look like the relaxed 2 am closing hours may not be forthcoming, even in Patpong.

ST

quote:

Originally posted by short-time:

Things must really be changing in Patpong for King's Castle II to make your A-list.

I have noticed too that there has been an improvement in service in the Kings Group as of late. The quality of dancers has perhaps drifted downhill but I am not being hit with demands for lady drinks like a few months back and sometimes even left the bars feeling quite happy with the experience. (Kings Corner & 3 excluded of course).

Cheers,

quote:

Originally posted by uniformguy:

I look forward to hearing the details on the tripleheader on the 28th Sarisin. When do you leave BKK by the way??

uniformguy
smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Hi UG,

The tripleheader was one of those unexpected treats that occur oh so often here in the LOS. In fact, I had barfined a friend out of Goldfingers and taken her to a few bars. She started feeling ill (too much tequila) and as I had a lot of packing to do and didn't feature a major cleanup in the hongnam, I cut her loose. I was perhaps 100 meters from the taxi, when another friend snagged me. She had two friends, and, well....you can probably figure out the rest.

I will depart here very early on that damn NW flight Friday AM. I will visit edenpapa before leaving of course. smile.gif" border="0

I'll be back in town late the 27th and will meet up with you and the others the 28th at Warbler's.

By the way, Bus Stop across the street had some decent talent there Friday night including (a) the welcome girls in the Singapore Airlines uniforms - knew you would like to hear this and (B) several of the gals from my Surin Connection who now freelance there.

Right across the street from Warbler's. Decent grub too.

quote:

Originally posted by short-time:

Sarisin,

Thanks for the heads-up on Thigh bar as you won't be around to protect me I would have gotten clobbered for sure with this scam. Maybe this is the Thai way of making up for lost revenue due to early closings and fewer customers... Too bad, Thigh bar used to be a fun place, now it sounds like one of the upstairs clip joints. Things must really be changing in Patpong for King's Castle II to make your A-list. BTW, does anyone know if their #1 sexy girl Bear still works there? Regrettably, it's starting to look like the relaxed 2 am closing hours may not be forthcoming, even in Patpong.

ST

Good to hear from you ST, and you must be getting your afterburners primed for your takeoff now, I suppose. Very sorry I won't be here during the beginning of your visit to 'keep you out of trouble,' but I'm sure you will be fine. Yes, I would say stay out of Thigh Bar this trip unless you want to try to run that gauntlent.

By the way, I do have a small gathering set up for New Year's Eve at BG23 if you would like to join us. Nothing like for the Milennium Party two years ago, but good food at BG23, over to Tilac, and then, probably on to NEP.

As stated, I will be in Warbler's 12/28 to meet some of the guys from this list, and, yes, Pinhead will be there too.

Have a safe trip over ST.

quote:

Originally posted by Palatkik:

I have noticed too that there has been an improvement in service in the Kings Group as of late. The quality of dancers has perhaps drifted downhill but I am not being hit with demands for lady drinks like a few months back and sometimes even left the bars feeling quite happy with the experience. (Kings Corner & 3 excluded of course).

Cheers,

Good point Palatkik. I had a great time in KCII and the tripleheader I ended up with was from KCI. So, yes, maybe they are getting a little more consumer friendly in the King's Group. Safari and Pink Panther are usually good too, although I can do without the boxing crap in PP. I really do like going to Goldfinger's where there is zero hassle.

Might have to do a King's Group crawl when I get back. Want to join me?

Sarisin, this is news. The Surin Connection has relocated (At least partially) to the Bus Stop. Some competition for BG7 is a winner. Cheeseburgers with bjs, I like it. :-)

--- the Pale Rider

By the way, Bus Stop across the street had some decent talent there Friday night including (a) the welcome girls in the Singapore Airlines uniforms - knew you would like to hear this and (B) several of the gals from my Surin Connection who now freelance there.

Right across the street from Warbler's. Decent grub too.[/QB]

Archived