Taxi from airport to Pattaya - 1400 baht?

wonderlust

There seems to be a lot of misleading information about 1000 baht taxis from the airport to Pattaya. From the official public taxi desk outside the airport building the price is a non-negotiable 1400 baht. Perhaps you can negotiate a lower price with a tout or a driver dropping someone off but if you want an official taxi with receipt you have to pay 1400. Or was I the victim of an elaborate scam?

Wonderlust,

Last month I got one from the airport to Pats for 1200 baht including tolls but that was telling the guy where I wanted to go in Thai, and a taxi that had just dropped off someone on the departures level.

Just have to say:

"Yaak jai bai Pattaya. Hai neung pahn sawng roy baht, roo-um tung doo-un na khrup. Dai mai khrup?"

(I want to go to Pattaya. I'll give you 1200 baht including tollway. Is that possible?)

Hope that helps.

If the guys get a fare back from a hotel or one of those booths that advertise "800 BAHT TAXI TO AIRPORT / BANGKOK" they don't get all of that money - I think they get 500 or 600, which isn't much, so I'm happy paying 1200 including tolls. Seems good for me and fair for the driver.

Thanks for the replies. By the sounds of it I wasn't scammed, I think you just have to pay 100 baht or so extra (1400 includes tolls) for an official taxi with the security of an official receipt. As I've never heard of anyone paying less from the public taxi desk I assume that is the proper non-negotiable official price.

When I laughed at a tout for her 2000 baht "special price" she quickly dropped it to 1200 baht but I prefer not to do business with the likes of her. I've heard the best prices can be had by booking in advance with one of the companies in Pattaya who send a minivan?

Archived