Jail-bate

Man at Work

quote:

I know two girls from a gogo in pattaya that worked there for over a year. Last week one of them turned 17. Two months ago the one I knew for 2 years turned 18. Very scary.

Scary is right! I've known a cashier in a Pattaya beer-bar for close to a year. When I first met her, both she and her sister told me she was only 17 and too young to go with men.

I ran into her a few weeks ago. She's working at a different beer-bar and she's not a cashier any longer. She throws herself at me and wants to go check out my hotel room. I figured she must've turned 18 by now, but the paranoid guy that I am I ask to see her id. She hands it to me without hesitation. I read, and read again, and again (alright, I'd had a few Mekhong-Cokes). I say, "Preung-nee, wan keed khun, na?" [Tomorrow is your birthday, huh?] She stares at me without a word. Guess she didn't think I could figure out her Buddhist Era birth-year, let alone the month. "Preung-nee, khun a-yu sip-hok, na?" [Tomorrow, you'll be sixteen, right?]

She yanks the id from my hand, and says, "No problem, I go wit men all the time."

But it gets worse. The mama-san comes by. "No ploblem, she 18. She 17. What? She 16? Mai pen rai. If scare hotel can stay short-time loom upstair."

quote:

I wonder if paying a barfine in any way mitigates the guilt. After all, part of the cost of a barfine is to assure yourself she is legal and can be tracked down later if need be.

Now, if the cops burst thru the short-time room door in the middle of the night, guess who's going to jail--you or the mama-san?

Be careful out there, gentlemen! Learn to read the girls' IDs. There may some fakes out there, but many probably don't bother. Don't take a chance.

I wish I could read their IDs. But can not. Especially after vodka.

Instead, I pretty much stay with "older" girls. I've found a higher level of satisfaction from the ones in their mid 20s in any case. The two examples above are just girls I met - not barfined.

I still wonder if there is any culpability of the bar to sell a barfine for an underage girl. Guess it doesn't matter since you'd still be in jail.

khun sanuk

Thanks for the tip. Uhhh, where might that be? I tried entering the members area and my password/ID didn't work. I'm not sure I've ever been in that section before.

Actually, my biggest problem if I wanted to read IDs is vision. When I party I don't need glasses, so I don't bring them. But to read I need.

Why don't they just install a beeper in every 12 year old girl with a battery life of 6 years. If it beeps - don't be beeping it.

James laugh.gif" border="0

What annoys me is why do bars employ girls under 18? Most casual visitors will assume that if a girl looks 18 and works in a bar and you barfine her to take her out that she damn well is 18.

There was a case reported in the Pattaya Mail of a guy who went to a gay bar, took an underage boy 16, he was arrested thrown into jail, the boy taken away but the bar stayed open.

So the farang rots in jail and life goes on...

While I think the customer is somewhat liable for any decision to "employ" an underage worker, the bar should also take a hit.

Let's face it, if a girl (or I guess boy) is working a mens bar in Pattaya or Nana, it is common knowledge they will go with man for money. The bar knows it. Unless the worker has some ID that claims 18 the bar should also bear cost via fine or jail for the manager.

But we know this isn't going to happen. Best solution - be safe. Only take those clearly on the right side of 18.

When I get back I'm going to ask the girl I met if she had a fake ID. Curious. If not, then I know any of the girls in that bar could be underage.

Jimmyb, I very much agree with your comments about bars taking a hit for employing underage girls....the same could be said for bars employing girls who they know are

HIV+ too. The poroblem is that this is prostitution in Thailand - a largely lawless industry in a highly corrupt country and as such, you have to expect the worst, from time to time.

Stick

Stick,

I know, silly of me to expect fairness. While still a newbie by the standards of some here, I have spent enough time in LOS to know fairness is not a thai fundmental.

Somehow though, it seems if you mind your business, and aren't a public asshole, it is easy to get along in thailand. Guess it all works out in the end.

James

Archived