Best Fish and Chips in UK

MooNoi

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

who remembers battered bits?......every thursday the chip van would do the rounds of the village stopping at my gun/crack infested council estate (yes, it was mean as hell, no really, it was!) :liar: at around 7pm, if my mum had cooked shepherds pie instead of having chips that night and was still hungrey from playing football on the green with my mates (jumpers for goalposts :D ) we'd go get free battered bits wrapped up newspapers, sometimes the suns page 3 :D

Phil, you beat me to it. What a wee, twee Doctor Finlay's Casebook kinda joint. "Och, and what will it be today, Morag? Can I tempt ye with a haddock?"

Fact: All decent chippies have faintly threatening youths in hooded tops and track suit bottoms hanging about outside. Accept no substitute.

who remembers battered bits?......every thursday the chip van would do the rounds of the village stopping at my gun/crack infested council estate (yes, it was mean as hell, no really, it was!) :liar: at around 7pm, if my mum had cooked shepherds pie instead of having chips that night and was still hungrey from playing football on the green with my mates (jumpers for goalposts :D ) we'd go get free battered bits wrapped up newspapers, sometimes the suns page 3 :D

We called them "scraps", chief. "A bag o' chips, mate, and plenty o' scraps on it!" Six new pence. :up: You could even get "a bag of scraps, mate" for ONE PENCE! (I think. Might even have been free.) Great stuff, especially in winter. Just batter and grease, salt and vinegar. :shocked: Walking home eating them, the fat froze and solidified as it trickled down your chin. :clown:

The big feller that ran the Jolly Fryer chippie where we went used to smoke woodbines while he was flaring up the grub behind the counter (this was long before all the PC non-smoking shite :rolleyes: took off in the UK). My mate Des Cooper found a fried fag end in his bag of chips one night. :shocked: Ian Smithson, who was a bit "doolally", ate it. :doah:

jack :help:

Archived