Best Fish and Chips in UK

MooNoi

Sayjann's thread on the board bar about Plymouth Ho got me thinking about my 2 years living in the UK a while back, and how I used to love fish and chips when I went somewhere on the coast.

Can you still get fish and chips wrapped in newspaper in the UK? Or is that not allowed now?

I reckon fish and chips wrapped in newspaper is one of life's great indulgences - bloody bewdiful! :thumbup:

Sad if it can't be served this way anymore. :shakehead

Where do you reckon the best fish and chips in the UK is?

I remember the best I ever tasted came from a fish and chip shop in Paignton, closely followed by a small little shop I went to in Whitby one time.

Nothing like a really well done fish and chip dinner!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

my aunt and uncle ran a chip shop (a former toll booth) in stoney middleson in derbyshires peak district NP, i used to help cut spuds on holiday there, great fish and chips :thumbup: .....they used old newspapers to wrap, now banned but last time in was in scotland 10 years ago they still use...

http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/DBY/StoneyMiddleton/TollBooth.html

Guest lazyphil

had very nice fish and chips (cant remember its name mind) on holiday in wells next to sea in norfolk this summer, ate them while fishing off the harbor wall with my daughter. old school holidays in blightly :)

my thread not about Plymouth..... :shakehead

Portsmouth is the place.

a fish and chip shop a couple of miles from me won an annual award from a national newspaper a few Years ago for having the best food in the country,they still have the trophy behind the counter.

and they are mighty fine.

my local shop still uses newspaper to wrap the food in,only way to go...... :thumbup:

but i like a change every now and then and will have a battered sausage or fishcake with a pineapple fritter and pickled egg.....yummy.

and lashings of vinegar and tomato sauce of course...... :D

When I was commissioning Sizewell B Nuclear Power Station I stayed in a sleepy little fishing village called Aldeburgh on the Suffolk, the beauty of fishing villages is that some pubs open with the tides. The Fish and Chip Shop there was top notch since the Cod was fresh daily.

I just did a quick Google on the place and see that in a survey back in 2002 it was rated as the best Chippy in the UK.

Wow you must have been living in the UK donkeys years ago. Last time I saw it wrapped in paper was when I was a kid. I should think and hope that's illegal. Did the ink add to the taste? Give me som tum any day.

In Australia there was always a sheet of waxproof paper between the paper and the goodies.

Fortunate indeed was the kid who's share was wrapped in the comics page!

Guy walks into a fish and chip shop and says, "Give us a bag of f*cking chips." The bloke serving says, "That's no way to order a bag of chips, you ignorant pig. Get behind this counter, and I'll come out there and show you how it's done." So the rude feller goes behind the fryer, and the owner comes out and says, "Excuse me, my good man. Could I please have one bag of chips. Thank you." The other bloke says, "No, you can't. Go f*ck yourself, you bastard. You wouldn't f*cking well serve me." :applause:

jack :help:

Archived