Saudi punishes gang rape victim with 200 lashes

Flashermac

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe its Stockholm Syndrome on a grand scale but you'd be surprised to know that a significant portion of the women in these countries favor the present state. These tend to be the older women.

Similarily so in some African tribes that have female circumcision. Its the older women that usually make sure these acts are carried out and do so independently of the men.

The question I have for all of you is what do the supposed enlightened westerners that we are do about it? a) Nothing. These countries are sovereign independent nations and can conduct their own business. B) take some sort non military action like sanctions, etc. or c) force them to change. At the end of a barrel of a gun as a last resort if necessary. d) some other action.

A lawyer for a gang-rape victim in Saudi Arabia who was sentenced to 200 lashes and six-months in jail says the punishment contravenes Islamic law.

The woman was initially punished for violating laws on segregation of the sexes - she was in an unrelated man's car at the time of the attack.

When she appealed, judges doubled her sentence, saying she had been trying to use the media to influence them.

Her lawyer has been suspended from the case and faces a disciplinary session.

Abdel Rahman al-Lahem told the BBC Arabic Service that the sentence was in violation of Islamic law:

"My client is the victim of this abhorrent crime. I believe her sentence contravenes the Islamic Sharia law and violates the pertinent international conventions," he said.

"The judicial bodies should have dealt with this girl as the victim rather than the culprit."

The lawyer also said that his client would appeal against the decision to increase her punishment.

According to the Arab News newspaper, the 19-year-old woman, who is from Saudi Arabia's Shia minority, was gang-raped 14 times in an attack in Qatif in the eastern province a year-and-a-half ago.

Link

Whilst i maybe unfair, biased, call it what you will...to me muslim/sharia societies seem so backward and in instances like this story, downright evil...

How can you contemplate punishing someone after they've been raped?

Really, i want to meet the judge in this brutal nightmarish farce...i will exact my own judgement.

I'm sure he is utterly unaware of why he made this decision...to him he probably feels justified...i would like the opportunity to show him the error of his ways. He needs re-educating, the significant cognitive distortions present need realignment.

I'm beyond disgusted by this news. Appalled. Horrified. I detest this. I feel so sad for that poor lady...

Yes..just so very sad...

The question I have for all of you is what do...

That is a tough question. First, how serious does a violation of "human rights" have to be b4 involving ourselves in the internal affairs of a sovereign nation.

Secondly, what changes could we make? Short of inducing "profound trauma" for changes to have any chance of succeeding, they would have to be somewhat consistent with current local culture/practice.

The USA's response to Japanese isolationism was to enter Tokyo harbor with a gunboat. Not claiming moral high-ground here, but look what it took to end certain Japanese practices at the close of WWII--two nuclear bombs, and the USA writing and dictating the terms of the new Japanese constitution. Their navy is just now (AFAIK) beginning to venture outside their territorial waters.

And where is the line drawn? I believe the death penalty is way under used. I support its use in cases of child molestation, rape, and even habitual wife-beating.

If other "civilized" countries / political bodies, such as EU think that the death penalty must end, what "legitimate" actions could/should they take against the USA to influence us to stop it?

Or, what should other countries do to the USA to stop all our polluting, contributing to global warming, etc...for many people believe in global warming and that it is due to CO2 levels, and that "the world hangs in the balance". Those are awfully high stakes.

You ask a really good question.

Archived