Saudi punishes gang rape victim with 200 lashes

Flashermac

A court in the ultra-conservative kingdom of Saudi Arabia is punishing a female victim of gang rape with 200 lashes and six months in jail, a newspaper reported on Thursday.

The 19-year-old woman -- whose six armed attackers have been sentenced to jail terms -- was initially ordered to undergo 90 lashes for "being in the car of an unrelated male at the time of the rape," the Arab News reported.

But in a new verdict issued after Saudi Arabia's Higher Judicial Council ordered a retrial, the court in the eastern town of Al-Qatif more than doubled the number of lashes to 200.

A court source told the English-language Arab News that the judges had decided to punish the woman further for "her attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media."

Saudi Arabia enforces a strict Islamic doctrine known as Wahhabism and forbids unrelated men and women from associating with each other, bans women from driving and forces them to cover head-to-toe in public.

Allah will be happy!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Pakistan, a rape victim must be able to present at least 3 Muslim men of good character, who witnessed the act of penetration.

If they are unable to do so, they are punished for adultery.

I asked a Mualim woman about this and she said that the idea is to PROTECT women from false accusations of adultery.

If a woman is accused of adultery, 3 male Muslim witnesses are required to convict her.

This is totally f**ked up. And by the way, nobody is trying to save the Saudis with democracy, or the Pakistanis for that matter. Far from it. The West has backed brutal, dictatorial regimes in both countries for decades. The LAST thing the West wants to see is democracy in these countries, especially considering the fact that in Pakistan, polls have shown that Osama Bin Laden is more popular than prez Musharraf.

Can you imagine it? Today a majority of members of the Pakistani Federal Assembly voted to use the country's nuclear arsenal to strike both Israel and India

Whilst i maybe unfair, biased, call it what you will...to me muslim/sharia societies seem so backward and in instances like this story, downright evil...

How can you contemplate punishing someone after they've been raped?

Really, i want to meet the judge in this brutal nightmarish farce...i will exact my own judgement.

I'm sure he is utterly unaware of why he made this decision...to him he probably feels justified...i would like the opportunity to show him the error of his ways. He needs re-educating, the significant cognitive distortions present need realignment.

I'm beyond disgusted by this news. Appalled. Horrified. I detest this. I feel so sad for that poor lady...

There really should be no place in the 21st century for barbarians like that.

Sanuk!

It is 1428 AH in Saudi and other countries that follow the Hijri calander and having spent many years in the middle east I'd say that was about right.

The sad thing is this article does not suprise me.

Archived