Saudi Arabia and racism?

drogon

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Gulfy? Presumably that refers to someone who spends their life working in The Gulf? :dunno:

I'll have been working overseas for 20 years shortly of which 10 will have been spent in the Gulf (Qatar, Saudi and Dubai) and 10 in the Far East (Indonesia, Taiwan and Thailand).

Won't dispute you comment that Saudi is a shit hole, but if you've got to be there then Jeddah would be the preferable location. I could probably have stuck it out if it had been a first posting or if I hadn't spent the previous 9 years in SE Asia.

As for living in the ME for the lifestyle, yes and no. I came to Dubai almost 9 years ago after desperately trying to hang on in LOS. I thought I would make some quick money and get back to LOS in 6 months or a year but obviously that never happened.

Dubai is not the ME as most people invisage the ME to be and does offer a very good lifestyle. I do miss LOS a lot but with plenty of vacation time and a good salary I can afford to visit whenever I want. :)

Why don't you try Dubai, the money will be equally as good but without having to put up with the Saudi's.

I point blank refuse to set foot in the place even though we have a huge project there. On the subject of racism though, our manager out in Saudi is black but he has never mentioned racism as a problem.

Munchie, rather off topic but just out of interest how does a man from the east of Scotland come to be a gooner? :confused: Don't get me wrong one of my mates is a gooner and I've nothing against them myself. I'd even go as far as to say they are my favoured London team! :)

Simie.

Archived