China Tells U.S. To Go Green

Steve

China said Friday it will not consider mandatory cuts on greenhouse gases, saying the United States and other industrialized countries should take the lead in fighting climate change by embracing a less-extravagant lifestyle...

China, which some believed has surpassed the United States as the world's top emitter of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases, also questioned the fairness of binding cuts when its per capita emissions are about one-sixth of those by the U.S.

It also noted that it's only been pumping pollutants into the atmosphere for the last few decades, whereas the West has done so for much longer.

"China is in the process of industrialization and there is a need for economic growth to meet the basic needs of the people and fight against poverty," said Su Wei, a member of the country's delegation at the U.N. Climate Change Conference in Bali.

"I just wonder whether it's fair to ask developing countries like China to take on binding targets or mandatory targets," Su said. "I think there is much room for the United States to think whether it's possible to change (its) lifestyle and consumption patterns in order to contribute to the protection of the global climate."

Delegates from nearly 190 nations are attending the Dec. 3-14 gathering charged with launching negotiations that will lead to an international accord to succeed the 1997 Kyoto Protocol on global warming.

Kyoto, which was rejected by the United States, commits three dozen industrialized countries to cut their greenhouse gases an average of 5 percent below 1990 levels between next year and 2012, when it expires.

One of the factors that led President Bush to reject Kyoto was the complaint that fast-developing countries such as China, India and Brazil were not required to cut their emissions under the pact.

Let's see...it was China that dump poisons into a river this year and killed thousands...and their air is completely polluted in every major city...and you go out of the major cities where they have setup their steel mills and they reek of pollution!

The USA took the lead on reducing pollution 30 years ago...the water in Lake Erie supports great sport fishing and Lake Erie was a sewer a few years back!!! (just to mention one example).

Yes, the USA can (must) do better but for China to copt out like they are doing...bullocks alert...

Guest lazyphil

its ok i've saved the planet by fitting low energy light bulbs throughout my house.... but i keep bumping into things, they're not very bright but will do!

We can all thank Kevin Rudd for this.. :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

By ratifying Kyoto as his first job as PM he has set the agenda for the summit.

If Howard the Coward had have done this years ago I guarantee we would have been so much further down the path of greenhouse gas ruduction targets

Archived