Khao San Road

Alfmaz

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And the guys who come to Sukhumvit think the real Bangkok is there?

Yes, many of them do.

Same same for the guys who spend months at a time in Thailand and never leave Pattaya. They all love the "culture" of Thailand, except they never really see any.

They're really no different than the backpackers flacko is describing, IMO. Instead of cheap drugs, they're having cheap sex.

It is different.

The sex tourist lot are interacting a lot more with the local population (even apart from the obvious :) )

Through the girls, they will often learn a lot more than the average backpacker who only has contact with his own kind. Typically a sex tourist will come alone and will be talking to natives rather than tourists. If he spends time with a girl (albeit a 'bad one'), he will learn about different foods, little customs (yes, maybe bad ones :) ), typical Thai lodgings, language and other little things that a backpacker or normal tourist will not.

... and the fever. The desire to come back, meanwhile learning more while waiting in his home country....

Even if this is the minority, it's a much bigger minority than the backpacking counterpart, who'll just move on to ticking off the next place - India, South America, New Zealand - and won't come back.

You're talking about the Pattaya yob who comes with his mates. But there's a very large number who come alone to both Bangkok and Pattaya abd spend all their time with natives rather than other farangs. This simply doesn't happen with backpackers.

Many of the Kho San people I think do meet locals, maybe they see the other parts of bangkok in company of farangs their own age, but many 1 month backpackers have been to far more places (maybe not interesting places) than the average Suk/Pattaya tourist.

JMHO

Going to many places and ticking them off isn't the same as knowing a country imo. A country is its people. People who go for places may as well have just bought the postcards.

"Hello, that's a photo me in front of this sight to prove I've done it! It's exactly like a postcard except it's got me in it to prove I've been there..." :doah::)

I reckon it's just common sense that more sex tourists are going to, through their girls, get to see and experience things the backpacker wouldn't. They simply spend more time with the locals (even if that local is a whore, it's still a local. And that native was Thai before she was a whore. :) )

Sukhumvit is the real BKK have I been wrong all these years :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Every time I go to Thailand I always find a new place to go in Thailand, I spend 2 nights in BKK just to look at stuff I want to buy when I leave, one 5 nights in Pattaya 3 nights music festival 2 wind down, then move on see Thailand and spend most of my time where I need to speak Thai and not many farang go. I know people who just go to BKK and Pattaya as well and they think they know the culture Ha.

Bibbles, ticking of places like a list - I agree, but most Sukhumvit only tourists are as blind as the backpackers, most, I would say more than 90%, never leave the area, that's it for Thai culture, and while I agree about maybe they get some culture rubbing of them from rubbing the girls, that I would say again is pretty rare.

At least the backpacker is seeing something others aren't. How many of the average GoGo barstool blokes do you think ever get to see a village?

Archived