Capello England Manager

Zaad

I am a bit confused. The FA (as well as others) have blasted english clubs, particularly Arsenal for not bringing through enough english players on their squads.

But the same FA goes out and hires two foreign managers?

I'm newer to the sport than most and therefore may not understand fully [saracasm alert] but isn't that hypocracy? So, english players are good enough but english managers aren't good enough to lead the english players who are? All the top clubs have non English managers. Why aren't they blasted for not having english managers then?

Explain please.

I wish I could Steve, .. don't know, but it reaffirms my thoughts that I believe national teams should be entirely national, manager included.

It is hypocracy IMO but I guess they don't want to take the risk being blasted by the media and English supporers for hiring another coach who's got a CV of the average English coach :)

Because there seems to be something implicitly wrong with English footballers when it comes to cracking the managerial whip. On the continent, it seems, the old adage in the UK that former great players don't make great coaches, doesn't really wash. Aside from Van Basten and Klinsmann's stints with their national sides, you have Ancelotti at Milan, Mancini at Inter, Schuster at Real Madrid, Rijkaard at Barca, Koeman at Valencia, Laurent Blanc at Bordeaux, Dunga with Brazil, Donadoni with Italy, and of course Bilic with Croatia and Capello himself with England.

The number of former great England players with similarly impressive managerial CVs is limited to Bobby Robson and Alf Ramsey. Since the Premier League began, not a single player has gone on to achieve major success with a club or country. It really does beggar belief.

Perhaps it's something to do with the brand of football we play. Some people called it "speed, excitement, attacking football." I suspect your average German, Dutch or Italian fan would look on it as ridiculously fast-paced, with teams giving you no time on the ball, and simplistic attacking play (bang it wide, lob it into the box, hope for the best). I'm not sure ten or fifteen years' exposure to such a limited pattern of play, over and over again, really helps players gain the skills necessary for good management, such as tactical flexibility and identifying weak points in the opposition.

That's why chairmen at football clubs prefer, say, Juande Ramos to Paul Jewell.

The only answer to this problem is this - if English players want to get their Pro-Licence coaching badges, don't send them to Lougborough. Instead, give them a return ticket to the Continent, get them working alongside top foreign coaches, in reserve and youth-team roles at Ajax, Barcelona, Roma, Bayern Munich and other great football establishments. Open their eyes to the way the game can be played. Because, as it currently stands, we won't be looking on these shores for a national team coach for a very, very long time.

In a perfect world I'd rather see a national team with a manager from its own country. I am a bit of a hypocrite though myself. I'd love to have Klinesmann as our manager. We are not a football country and therefore do not have someone with the requisite experience to lead us against other countries.

England and similar countries have football as a national sport and it speaks volume about how lacking they are if they have to go abroad. A bit more understandably in our case. If England wanted to enter the Olympics in basketball or baseball for example, I couldn't blame them if they nicked American coaches to train and manage their players. [first thing lads, the bat goes over your head, get out of that cricket stance...hehehe]

My main issue is their blaming Arsenal and others for not developing players when they are not 'developing' managers.

They (or Uefa) will need to change the "3 foreigners max" rule if they want to force clubs to improve their youth teams.

Honestly I was a little surprised it was even possible until I fully understood that rule few years ago.

Very much doubt though they're gonna do anything about it other than blame the clubs.

As for Capello, could be interpreted in a million ways.

Could be an eye-opener for those who are unaware of the poor managerial status in English football. Which in turn could have a positive effect in the future, meaning better and improved English managers. If he fails it's gonna be the players' fault (if Capello can't get results, who can?)

In any case, the FA did what was being requested by millions so they're pretty much safe regarding the possible scapegoatancy (is that a word?) :)

Re national teams, I too am happy with the foreign coach (Scolari) Hypocrite me :) but still like the idea of "no foreigners" incl. managers, coach, any of the staff. Not even the players' wifes :D

In 14 of the last 20 years the English champions have been managed by a Scot. Most of course by the same man (Sir Alex), but George Graham and Kenny Dalglish also managed 5 champions. Of the other 6 years, 5 of the champions were managed by Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho leaving only one English champion to have been managed by an Englishman in the last 20 years......and people wonder why they've appointed Capello?!

Archived