Underage Girls

Raven

A word of caution on the age of the girls in the Sukumvit area (probably goes for the other tourist areas as well). In my most recent trip, I ran into a few girls who said they were 17 years old. Too young for me.

The age of consent in Thailand is 16, but the age for professional services is 18. I have no desire to be explaining this distinction to the local police or anyone else.

Specifically, I met a dancer in Rainbow 1 and one in Voodoo who both claimed to be 17. Also, many girls who congregate outside Nana disco either "forgot" their ID or more likely, are too young to get in. Beware. If they look too young, they probably are.

Some of this may be due in part to marketing. In the eyes of the providers, young is good. (Eyes of lots of customers as well.) In the case of the Voodoo dancer (who was really cute) the drink girls proudly told me that she was only 17. I don't think that they expected the look of horror that crossed my face or my decision to find a different friend for the evening.

One way to tell is the ID card. It has the girl's birth year in the lower right quadrant, using the Thai calendar. Thai year 2526 is OK (unless their birthday is late in 2001), and 2527 will be OK as soon as the girl has her birthday in our 2002. (Thanks to world walker for clarifying.)

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Raven ]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Crown group bars booted out all the under 18's a week or so ago, but curiously one 15 yr old welcome girl I know is back working at the same Crown group bar already. Most of the others migrated to Soi Cowboy.

By the way, Rictic, I know the flower girl of whom you speak and she has no shortage of customers. I don't even know her name, my friends and I just call her Flower Girl of FG.

Ranger

I feel a little sorry for her, I remember her from when she started selling the baskets of flowers in the bars, quite sweet girl at the time, it was really only a matter of time though, she spent too much time looking at the shows. She's got to be as hardline as they come now.

A friend just returned from his first trip to LOS, he spent quite a lot of time with one particular girl who had a woman's body to say the least, no way you could tell. From a friend, he heard the girl was only 16, when he pressured her for an answer, she came clean that the had just turned 16 a few months ago. Hard to tell in her case. As far as the age of consent being 16 and 18 for professional services, how can the police tell? also, if prostitution is technically illeagle in LOS, why the distinction? Just wondering!

quote:

Originally posted by Raven:

One way to tell is the ID card. It has the girl's birth year in the lower right quadrant, using the Thai calendar. I'm not sure where you are safe, but 2526 is OK, and maybe even 2527 or 2528, depending on the month. Perhaps a board member can clarify the Thai calendar for our use and benefit.

This year is 2544. Easy way to get this is add 543 to the Christian year. Thankfully the Thai year begins Jan 1st just like the Christian one, so you don't have to go mucking around with the Chinese new year in your calculations.

So anybody born 2526 (2544-18) or before is fair game. Unless she was born in 2526 and her birthday hasn't come yet this year, in which case she's still 17. Birthyears 2527 and up are underage for sure.

Thanks worldwalker. I knew the date was after 2525 (from the old pop song) but couldn't quite remember the exact safe year. So, 2526 is now safe (except for those who have a birthday between Christmas and New Years). We can now start working on the 2527 crop - carefully.

quote:

Originally posted by worldwalker:

This year is 2544. Easy way to get this is add 543 to the Christian year. Thankfully the Thai year begins Jan 1st just like the Christian one, so you don't have to go mucking around with the Chinese new year in your calculations.

So anybody born 2526 (2544-18) or before is fair game. Unless she was born in 2526 and her birthday hasn't come yet this year, in which case she's still 17. Birthyears 2527 and up are underage for sure.

Ahh...oops! I thought is was 2545! On November 7th this year I met a girl born November 4th 2527. I did the math and I thought she was 18. She said her ID said she was 18 but was really 20 due to her mom not filling out the paper work till 2 years later. Her mom and the mamasan also sweared by this.

Archived