What do you do with your stuff, when in a hotel?

Stan Smith

Regarding hotel security; the problem isn't so much hotel staff as it is gangs of professional hotel thieves that operate in Thailand, especially in Pattaya. Many of the gangs seem to be Iranian and Syrian.

They will get a room in a hotel, copy the key and then ask for a room change and copy that key. Later, the gang will return and clean those rooms out. It seems to happen more at the big hotels that cater to Indian and Chinese tour groups, less so in the smaller, western oriented places.

Hotels with re-programable keycards are probably the most secure.

Room security doesn't seem to be much of a priority for many places.

More than a couple times I've asked for the wrong key, and it was given to me, no questions asked. Not until I was in someone elses room and happened to notice that those aren't my clothes hanging in the closet did I figure it out. Just one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of the leave your key with reception policy that many places employ.

Fortunately I've never had a problem (knock on wood) with anything growing legs, but it's a little unnerving knowing how lax things can be.

If you need to hide things hide them in plain sight.

Get a stack of Bangkok Posts, ruffle them up, retack them and slide the laptop inside.

Lift up the wardrobe [miami hotel] and slide your laptop underneath the wooden lip.

Sounds like a blackberry is all you really need. Why are you travelling with the laptop?

I just returned. I just left everthing on the desk when i went out. I will always continue to hide my bank book and passport though. Fuck that. Not worth the risk.

By the way - dddaves post - kinda sums the whole thing up realy. If guys are out there making copys of keys and then breaking in, you will forgive me if a seem a bit paranoid about this. It can happen, and it does happen.... valium or no valium, i would be pissed off if my stuff was stolen.

I have two slight problems when im out at night. Firstly, i nearly always end up with freelancers at 5am and secondly, i sleep like a bastard for 8 hours as soon as i have had my fun with said freelancer. I usualy go for ST but if im pissed as a newt, ill bring them back for LT. I can think of half a dozen pals who have had money stolen whilst fast asleep so it does happen.

I have a great little hiding place for my money. When the FL/BG is in the shower, open up the wardrobe, slide out the clotes rail and roll your money into the hollow tube - then replace the clothes rail. I usualy only have 5 or 6 thousand kicking around but i would still rather not loose it.

Hey, i may sound paranoid but again..... it happens. Only just last week a mate of mine awoke at a soi 3 hotel to see his LT had gone, along with his phone, cards and cash.

Always be careful if hiding your money / wallet when :drunk: . It can be very embarassing the next morning if you can't remember where you hid it or worse can't remember hiding it at all and then think your 'guest' has nicked it. :o

That's right, it just happened to me that I thought a girl from Tilac had stolen my credit card and it took some time to remember, that I had hidden it somewhere when she was in the shower...

For places that don't have Safes might want to consider Pacsafe - they have a variety of slashproof products you can lock to something fixed like a sink pipe and would appear to deter most casual thefts - lest the girls happen to have a tool kit with them...

Never tried thier products myself but on various boards over the years saw many posts with people swearing by them.

Archived