How To Tell If Youre An Aussie

MooNoi

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah - if I was from NSW I'd look to some of the people from Newcastle as great examples to inspire me. Sydney, forget it, lost it's spirit a long time ago, ironically I find the "migrant" populations, the older ones, the first ones to come here, often have a battling edge to themselves.

My great great grandfather was one the first settlers and pioneers on the far north coast. My great grandfather actually founded and built the town of Grevillia. Bit of a ghost town now, but in it's day a thriving part of the Border Ranges. He started the logging and saw mill industry up there.

Strangely back then those guys were referred to as the original conservationists. They did what was known back the as selective logging. Not like today where they just clear 100,000's of acres without any consideration for the enviromental damage they are doing.

But I remember reading that the success of the town was based on a sense of community. Something Australia lacks in 2008.

Sydney has become a hole in my opinion. I loved growing up in Sydney. The beaches, luna park, being able to ride our skateboards late at night at the local shops. Meeting up with your mates and running wild. All good harmless fun. Now days you end up getting shat on by whoever.

I remember getting free milk at school every morning. One thing that is still a vivid memory. We always you to get to school early because if you were there when the milko arrived you were a chance for a free flavored milk. Many a battle took place over who got the chocolate ones.

I don't know what happened. Itâ??s amazing what has changed in the last 10 years. Kids are not playing outside as much, people are getting more obese, soon very few will know how to really cook because of fast food & we all seem to be rushing more & more. We are all trying to get the most out of life & want it now! Itâ??s no longer a holiday or mortgage, itâ??s both.

The media has played a huge role in re-shaping peoples attitudes. While we once were citizens in a community we are now consumers in an economy.

I don't consider it "the lucky country" anymore. Most of it has been sold off anyway. I have done the hard work owned the home and investment properties, driven the flash car(DS can confirm that), overseas holidays and was completely miserable. Decided I didn't want to work the rest of my life for the bank and an ungrateful evil pig of a woman. So I gave it all up. And feel so much better for it.

Life here in Sydney now is judged by your financial position more often than not. I know we always refer to Queenslanders as a bit sllllllllllooooooowwwwwwwwweeeeerrrrrr, but they don't seem to be as selfish as sydney people. I myself can't wait to get out of here. The only place I know of in sydney that seems to have kept it's soul intact is Maroubra. Still a hard arsed working class suburb that refuse to submit to the changing landscape.

Although I could and would never support Queensland in the State of Origin I respect the passion that comes with the maroon jumper. Although most will not admit it, deep wown we envy it.

<< Strangely back then those guys were referred to as the original conservationists. They did what was known back the as selective logging. Not like today where they just clear 100,000's of acres without any consideration for the enviromental damage they are doing. >>

When the Brits ran the teak trade in northern Thailand, that's exactly what they did. They protected the forests in their own self interest, only cutting the largest trees and making sure to leave some of them for seed trees. Then the Brits moved out and the Thais took over. You saw the idiotic clear cutting of the forests that destroyed most of them. :(

p.s. My great uncle took part in a gold rush in Australia in the 1890s. Any idea where the rush would have been? Story is he was partners in a claim that was starting to pay and engaged to a local gal, when his father had him shanghai'ed and brought back home to the UK! Daddy didn't approve of such things.

:banghead:

To the populace of crime-torn England at the end of the eighteenth century, a 'free passage' to Australia was anything but a voluntary trip. Yet, in fifty years, Englishmen, and people in countries around the world were prepared to offer their life savings for a berth on a ship to get here. The change in attitude was directly attributable to the discovery of gold around Bathurst (New South Wales) and Ballarat (Victoria).

Gold was first discovered in 1823 (near Bathurst) by James McBrien. The news was kept quiet by the authorities of the time to prevent a convict uprising. By the late 1840's, free settlers had replaced convicts as the main immigrants. By the time the news that a prospector by the name of Edward Hargraves had found gold reached the rest of the world, Australia was already deep in the grips of gold fever. Labourers and settlers alike left their farms, city dwellers abandoned their homes and jobs, and fortune hunters quickly began to flood in from Europe, the United States and the Orient. The opportunity to cash in was quickly grasped by the Government of the day who immediately declared that prospectors and miners must pay a license fee of 30 shillings a month.

Archived