Australian prime minister urges apology to Aborigines

Flashermac

Australia's new prime minister has renewed a pledge to officially apologize to the country's indigenous people for past injustices.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd promised after his November election victory to push Parliament for a formal apology to Aborigines, Australia's original inhabitants who are now an impoverished minority.

"The key thing is to build a bridge with indigenous Australia through an apology, through saying sorry, because that bridge is a pathway to respect," Rudd told reporters Sunday.

Rudd's call for reconciliation came during a national holiday weekend honoring the arrival of the first white settlers to Australia, an event that marked the start of profound disruption for Aborigines.

The apology would could be issued as early as Feb. 12, when Parliament resumes, local media reported Monday. Rudd is standing firm, however, against demands from some indigenous leaders for compensation for mistreatment.

But you ain't gettin' the country back!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australia's new prime minister has renewed a pledge to officially apologize to the country's indigenous people for past injustices.

What a prick!

And a goose :banghead::neener:

OK TB heres a challenge for you. Explain the basis for you holding that opinion apart from the fact that you are a Johnny Howard fan.

The perfect opportunity for you to disprove the other board members who have the common belief that you hold a an IQ somewhere in the range of 1-20

What a prick!

And a goose :banghead::neener:

OK TB heres a challenge for you. Explain the basis for you holding that opinion apart from the fact that you are a Johnny Howard fan.

The perfect opportunity for you to disprove the other board members who have the common belief that you hold a an IQ somewhere in the range of 1-20

First i did not take part in the (badly named ) stolen generation !

Therefore i will not say sorry...they were taken for the good of them..health reasons and save from the abuse by the drunken elders .. food , education. etc

Second:

I hope he got good legal advice so we do not have to pay a cent in compo to them for his decision!

He could have called a referendum and then we would go with the majority ..not just on his pat malone...

Third:

He plans ..(made during a dinner last night)..to have them on the floor in Parliament( a sorry ceremony of sorts) at the opening on Feb 3 .

So this (short term) PM makes plans over dinner parties ..god help us all .... :censored:

Last week i heard a radio poll being taken ..whom would you vote for today??

guess what...i think you can guess whom got the majority

Archived