Sanuk Social Levels

Steve

Hi,

I agree with your reasoning, but I guess for the Thais it all comes down to the f^*&ing class system again. The lighter girls are in the massage parlours, the darker ones in the farang areas. Guess which ones are more looked down upon?

Sanuk!

PS How are you? Haven't heard from you in a while.

But, Sanook, is is just in the sex farang scene. Aren't brown complexion people of, say, Issan extraction looked down anywhere. try to praise the vibrant, unique, indigenous and folk quality of Mo-lam music to a bkk "whitey" (not ordering you, just a figure of speech)!

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

massage parlour, Go Go bar, Beer bar, BJ bar

Freelancer could fit in just about anyway, depending on who you ask. And even GoGo & beerbar could be swapped most likely, again depending on who you ask.

I always thought that this order was really weird (not disagreeing that it exists though). In terms of the girls ability to choose, massage girls have absolutely the least (they don't even *see* the customer till he has picked her). Freelancers have total ability to pick and chose what customer they want (or don't want), go-go and bar girls are in the middle (they have *some* discretionary ability). On freedom of choice it would be (from highest to lowest):

Freelancer

go-go/beerbar

bj bar

massage girl

..trust the Thai's to get it the wrong way round!!

-j-

quote:

Originally posted by Khun Sanuk:

Hi,

PS How are you? Haven't heard from you in a while.

HI KS

..totally up to my eye balls at the moment. I know I am remiss, but will be in touch with you again in the near future when (hopefully!) things are a bit more settled.

-j-

I totally agree with Kuhn Sanuk in that the massage parlour is without doubt the blue ribbon of the sex industry - when they are done well (eg Delias).

And, internally they also have a hierachy that is so clearly delineated its almost bizarre.

First you have the 'superstars.' Even the crud massage parlours around town have grabbed on to the 'superstar' tag and now, most fishbowls come with 'superstars' although I think that the term is used a little loosely. Some of them are slightly more attractive rotters than the rest of the rotters in the fish bowl.

The good ones don't enter the tank, there are good ones that hang around the bar, and most of the ones that you see in the fish bowl are better than the mid end of NEP.

By the way, I've heard a few girls hang shit on NEP at times, as though they look down on it.

If you're going to work in the sex industry, you may as well be a superstar.

irstly, the whole thing is over and done with in 1.5 - 2 hours. They don't have to hang around and listen to some drunk farang talk about crap till the early hours. The can go home and get back to their regular life, albeit a little richer.

They have more of a 'service' orientation, just want to do a good job in the allocate time. There is none of this emotional crap, they're there to do a job, not to fall in love for crying out loud.

The money has already been paid, so there's no need to grovel for it as the bar girl is oft.

But the best thing is the one customer policy at some places - once you've done your trick, its time to go. For the customer, that means you got to get in early to get a good one. I suppose its worth getting in before the slops anyway.

The point is that, yes, massage girls are alot higher in the hierarchy than your average bargirl.

The highest in Hierarchy are the gogosG, barG, massageuses, freelancers, younameit, who make big money and keep it... I doubt that the few russian girls working in Pattaya massage parlors have higher status by telling or showing where they work. Russian... and thai.

I am sure some massage places are tops , but the massage parlors i've been invited to visit almost caused me to puke. Just a very sorry sight, very unattractive girls ,and not much smiling either. Give me a funny"low-status" BG anyday...

I really don't think there is any specific social hierarchy within the sex industry minus the ones who are sold to work. They all belong to the same low class at least on how Thais would view it.

Of course the girls will see each other differently but for self-esteem and ego reasons. It all depends on who you talk with as each individual will come up with justification on why they are better off or more comfortable doing what they are doing. It depends a lot on where there friends work or if they have a little more feeling on who they are and what they are comfortable with, that is what they will do. Whether working nana disco, a massage parlor or a gogo, each will view themselves individually as better off than their counterparts. My analogy would be sport professionals who choose to play football, baseball or basketball. One athlete is not socially higher than the other. They are mutually exclusive of each other. Each is a player in their own sport and the only comparison would be to other athletes within the same sport like gogos to gogos or parlors to parlors. The bottom line is they are sport professionals just like working girls belonging to the sex industry. I think it is irrelevant to say one type of sex worker institutionally is higher than another type of worker institutionally. By human nature, we would like to classify them into some social group heirarchy to make it make more sense to us. I don't buy into the generalization arguments that have been presented so far. An individual will choose what one is comfortable with or do best at (ask Michael Jordan) but not within some prescribed social hierarchicial arrangement. For every massage girl who says she is better (as we would like to classify as higher) off, I can find a gogo or freelancer would say the same and vice versa.

Sincerely,

Cardinalblue

We should always be cautious too, how we think thais think of girls who are in the tourist sex industry. maybe some stiff upper-lip BKkian sniff at them, but i still experience being in Thailand or seeing how thais inter-act as coming from a "live and let live" healthy philosophy, most of the time. A lot depends on the assertiveness of the girl too. A self-confident one will ride the "status/no status" test with flying colors. IMO

hmm, social status....I think I agree with Khun Sanuk that age and income play highly into this as well as light skin.....but I see no one has mentioned sing-a-song girls, who are not only stunning looks wise, but can sing like angels and often dance up a storm! Of course these establishments are mostly geared for thai men, but I have, and I am sure many of you have pierced this echelon of nitery entertainment and found it to be an interesting diversion from my usual farang haunts laugh.gif" border="0

woof!

Archived