Oz May Cut Ties To "Poms" After Queen Mum Dies

Steve

Australia will likely only break its ties with the British monarchy and become a republic when Queen Elizabeth II dies, the former leader of the campaign for a republic said Monday.

Malcolm Turnbull, now a conservative politician, said he did not believe the time was ripe for Australia to shake off a tradition spanning more than two centuries.

"I know this is not very consoling to many republicans, and this doesn't give me any joy to say it," the former chairman of the Australian Republican Movement told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"But my own judgement is that the next time when you would have your best prospects would be at the end of the Queen's reign -- so when she dies, or abdicates."

Turnbull was head of the Australian Republican Movement for seven years until 2000 and led its campaign to remove the Queen as head of state, which was defeated in a 1999 national referendum.

Queen Elizabeth II is formally Queen of Australia despite the country's independence from Britain...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge turnaround for Turnbull since he hitched a ride with the Libs.

Not sure his credibility will stay intact with comments like this. Howard farked the last chance by politicising it to the point where he put the country back 10 years.

Archived